Help support TMP

"Ancient Kushan Army" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Ancients

689 hits since 14 Mar 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Mr J197014 Mar 2019 2:10 a.m. PST

Hi as a relative newbie to Ancients, I'm interested in both a Sassanid force and Classical Indian, using the War and Empire ranges and forthcoming Museum Miniatures ranges. Was wondering what the feasibility was in morphing the two together into a Kushan force.

Apart from a few related plates in the Montevert "Sassanian Armies", are there any other sources for information?

Also any good rules recommendations for larger battle rulesets? Tried FOG and wasn't overwhelmed (personal taste, not a reflection on the rules).

Many thanks.

GurKhan14 Mar 2019 2:32 a.m. PST

There's the two-volume Montvert "Armies of Bactria" by V Nikonorov, if you can find it.

Rules are very much a matter of personal taste and what your local group's into. I would always recommend DBMM, but others hate it.

Personal logo BigRedBat Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Mar 2019 3:40 a.m. PST

The Montverts are very good – if now, unfortunately, rather pricey!

I'm in the latter stages of editing some Kushan, Indo Bactrian, Indo Greek, Gupta etc lists for "to the Strongest!" that should be published within a month (for free download from my BigRedBatshop). I'll post on TMP when they come out.

Dervel Fezian14 Mar 2019 4:57 a.m. PST

AS mentioned rules really depend on what you are looking for?

For example if you did not like FOG because you thought it too detailed or if you thought it was not detailed enough?

Two different directions on rules recommendations.

Also, many people like or dislike rulesets based on how their favorite army is represented.

I play FOG2 on the computer, and enjoy it, but the computer does all the grinding.

I have Classical Indians and Kushan and prefer Triumph on the table top because I can play small to large battles without getting a headache from overly complicated charts and the rules do a good job on the battles in my opinion.

Perris070714 Mar 2019 5:16 a.m. PST

Art de la guerre, Tactica, Triumph, Impetus, To The Strongest – all are fun to play in my view. I have played them all and enjoyed them all. Each has good points. Try them at cons if you can, or if you have a local club.

catavar14 Mar 2019 5:52 p.m. PST

I don't have a link but I recall finding an article about the Kushan's online by typing: Armies of the Kushan Empire… or such. Another online source I found interesting was coins.

I have a DBM Kushan Army and have no problem using them as Parthains. Despite erupting from the steepe at different times I doubt they would've looked that far apart.

It's my understanding the Kushan's were eventually vassals of the Sassanians and both incorporated Huns into their armies. But would they look similar? After so much time maybe, but my personal opinion is ahhhh….no, not really. I think the Cataphracts would be ok, but the lite horse might be a stretch.

Does this mean Sassanians can't represent Kushans? Oddly enough, I don't believe it does. I think it really depends on what figures, and rules, are used. In DBM most Sassanian and Kushan mounted are completely different troop types (one is more heavily armored for instance). I don't know how other rules represent them.

Besides, I admit I've used figures from other nationalities, or similar figures from other time periods, to represent different troop types. I seriously doubt anyone would notice but me (and I'm ok with that).

Mr J197015 Mar 2019 3:47 p.m. PST

BigRedBat

Many thanks, those lists sound extremely useful and I will certainly be interested in using them as a guide to creating the force. It may be heresy so those easily offended, turn away now, but I intend getting a classical Indian force then morph it with Parthians to obtain a later Kushan force via some additional phalagnites and EHC for a Bactrian Greek/ Indian force.

Mr J197015 Mar 2019 4:16 p.m. PST

Catavar

Thanks for the info, I'm basically a sucker for anything Cataphract, so aim to start with a Sassanid force that will then be expanded to include Kushan elements as a vassal ally. In terms of infantry for the Kushan I'm going for an Indian look, courtesy of the new Museum Miniatures sculpts highlighted on their Facebook page.

Link https://www.facebook.com/SculpterZ

For Cataphracts I will be waiting to see what develops with MM, but also thinking of mixing in some of the Xyston later Parthians with their distinct style. Yes the helmets are slightly wrong with over scale reinforcement strips but they have a distinct look to them.

Link link

Light Cavalry – probably go with War and Empire Parthian/ Saka Light cavalry with Bow.

Sassanids will be from the excellent range by War and Empire

Link link

Mr J197015 Mar 2019 4:17 p.m. PST

BigRedBat

Those lists sound extremely useful and I will certainly be interested in using them as a guide to creating the force. It may be heresy so those easily offended, turn away now, but I intend getting a classical Indian force then morph it with Parthians to obtain a later Kushan force via some additional phalagnites and EHC for a Bactrian Greek/ Indian force.

Mr J197015 Mar 2019 5:00 p.m. PST

YouTube lecture on the History of the Kushan

Link YouTube link

catavar18 Mar 2019 10:57 a.m. PST

I have a thing for cataphract armies myself (and I have a Indian Army as well). Good luck with yours!

Druzhina18 Mar 2019 2:36 p.m. PST
John Edmundson18 Mar 2019 8:18 p.m. PST

Be aware that the "War and Empire" Sassanian range is based on the old WRG "Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome" so the light cavalry are wearing the infamous globe hats. You may want to source them from a different range. It's unfortunate that War and Empire produced all these beautiful new figures without updating their research first.

Mr J197019 Mar 2019 10:00 a.m. PST

I was thinking of using a combination of using a combination of their bow armed Scythian and Parthian light cavalry for that reason, but thankyou all the same for up. I think using these two packs will give a varied feel to the force. Also thinking of using some of the Huns when they are released later with the Dark Age additions as Ephalite Hun allies.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.