Help support TMP

"75th Anniversary battles" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

452 hits since 5 Mar 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Rotundo05 Mar 2019 9:28 a.m. PST

Do any of you or your group honor the 75th anniversary of WW2 battles? My friend and I went all thru the Italy campaign. At Cold Wars he is presenting Monte Cassino and I and running the Anizo Breakout. I just wondered if anyone else may pay attention to such things.

Rotundo05 Mar 2019 9:28 a.m. PST

Do any of you or your group honor the 75th anniversary of WW2 battles? My friend and I went all thru the Italy campaign. At Cold Wars he is presenting Monte Cassino and I and running the Anizo Breakout. I just wondered if anyone else may pay attention to such things.

donlowry05 Mar 2019 9:32 a.m. PST

Someone obviously works for the Department of Redundancy Department.

Rotundo05 Mar 2019 11:00 a.m. PST

Justvfor that its staying…lol

Steamingdave205 Mar 2019 1:03 p.m. PST

Currently reading Lloyd Clark's book on the campaign. Always had an interest in this, as my late uncle was machine gunned at Anzio, but fortunately survived to tell the tale and lived into his late 80's. The Italian campaign has been overshadowed by D-Day and Normandy, but clearly was a desparate struggle, in awful conditions and caused tremendous suffering.

21eRegt05 Mar 2019 1:07 p.m. PST

We did part of Kursk last year (I bet you can guess which part) and I'm lobbying for at least one this year. Strangely, our group isn't very interested in another mega game.

Levi the Ox05 Mar 2019 9:10 p.m. PST

As I'm more into early war, I'm actually rolling around ideas for an 80th anniversary Norway campaign for next year!

Rotundo06 Mar 2019 3:47 a.m. PST

Yes Levi, we are also thinking the invasions of France and Poland should be honored. Although, we bandied about the Japanese incursions into the mainland. Little different feel, keep things from being stale.

Phrodon06 Mar 2019 9:40 a.m. PST

I am running a 75th anniversary Juno beach D-Day scenario at CanGames in Ottawa using The Face of Battle skirmish rules. The scenario is based on the book Stopping the Panzers by Marc Milner. The scenario is around the Cardonville farm with the Canadian Regina Rifle Regiment fighting off the 12th SS Panzer Regiment and 26th Panzer Genadier Regiment. From the book "Historians have focussed on the role of Canadian infantry battalions during this battle, and rightly so. British historian Michael Reynolds described the Regina Rifle Regiment's defence of Bretteville as "one of the finest small units actions of the Second World War."

The book.

link

An interesting PDF read of the account. Great ideas for several scenarios.

link

Mike

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.