Help support TMP

"Modern Italian View of El Alamein" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

508 hits since 2 Mar 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP02 Mar 2019 4:26 p.m. PST

"You have seen the classic Long Range Desert Group (LRDG) movie "Sea of Sand" as well as "Ice Cold in Alex" (both from 1958!) and are looking for some other good movies about WWII in the desert? Well, recently I saw an Italian film about El Alamein that really made an impression on me.

There have been more movies made about the war in North Africa than most can imagine, both British, US, Italian and French films. In 2008 even a Czech & Slovak production was released, "Tobruk", about two Czechoslovak soldiers fighting in Tobruk. I have not yet been able to get hold of the latter, but here follows a short review of the probably latest Italian movie, marketed as either just "el-Alamein" or "El Alamein – The Line of Fire" (In Italian: "El Alamein – La linea del fuoco"). It is a 2002 film written and directed by Enzo Monteleone that lets the viewer see the Second battle of El Alamein from an Italian perspective. This alone is refreshing, as most war movies shown here in Scandinavia have an American or British perspective. But aside from that it is quite simply a good movie – not the best war movie I have ever seen, but certainly among the ten best.

"el-Alamein" does not really focus on one soldier, although Private Serra (Paolo Briguglia), an enthusiastic student who has volunteered, holds the film together. I would say that this film is unusually good at portraying a unit, in this case a platoon in the Italian 28th Infantry Regiment. The film brings home the alien atmosphere of the desert and how the Italians adapt to it. While I am no expert at Italian uniforms, small arms and vehicles I believe the film makers have gone to unusually great lengths to give it an authentic and gritty look. In some scenes they have been forced to use modern APCs as tanks – but they have done this in a very clever way, making it difficult to recognize their true shape. Generally speaking, almost every scene in this film has an amazingly authentic look and the desert itself is filmed with great talent…."
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

21eRegt03 Mar 2019 8:05 a.m. PST

I've seen it and enjoyed it for the reasons given. The sandstorms worked to help with the modern AFVs but hey, I accepted Battle of the Bulge for what it was so this is no problem.

Legion 403 Mar 2019 9:01 a.m. PST

Would like to see some foreign films on many of the WWII battles. It certainly will give you another POV.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP03 Mar 2019 9:23 p.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.