Help support TMP

"WWII Japanese Soldiers for My Son" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Action Log

28 Feb 2019 5:46 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from Painting boardCrossposted to WWII Discussion board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

545 hits since 28 Feb 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Griffon8628 Feb 2019 11:46 a.m. PST

link

My son's into Japanese stuff at the moment (along with cats and the Warriors series of books). It started out with interest in Pearl Harbor, then various other things (though he's enjoyed Godzilla for quite some time). So when we attended Williamsburg Muster wargaming convention two weeks ago and he saw a pack of Bolt Action Japanese soldiers, he desperately wanted them. Granted, I had to pitch in to pay for half, and, of course, promise to assemble and paint them for him. I am ashamed to admit I'm a hopelessly indulgent father.

link

Not being one to do things half-heartedly, I dutifully worked at assembling and painting about 12 of the 30 figures. Part of my motivation came from trying some new painting methods (new to me, anyway), notably the infamous "dip" wherein, after a base coat and basic painting of core colors one coats the miniature with a kind of stain in this case MinWax Polyshades Bombay Mahogany to bring out the detail one might normally achieve with a wash, then drybrushed some highlighting (mostly metal bits like rifle barrels, bayonets, canteens, and the sword). Though I didn't care for the glossy sheen the "dip" left on the figures (one even the clear matte finish spray could not completely dull), I thought the process really brought out the miniatures' details, far more than traditional washes had in past projects.

link

I flocked the bases with sand and a few rocks and tufts of grass (I'm a glutton for punishment), then stamped out some rounds from old magnetic business cards to stick under the bases to give them a little more weight and aid in storage. They'll probably find use fighting against his cat figures or perhaps battling other figures to protect the cats. I expect a few will end up on my desk for repairs and they'll probably be left on the floor and otherwise abused. But it was a good experience for me to give the "dip" method a try and finish off a handful of miniatures relatively quickly. At first I was skeptical the Warlord Games 28mm figures could hold the detail I have the Band of Brothers set that's next on my painting agenda and I'm not a fan of assembling miniatures out of fiddly arms, heads, equipment, and other bits. But I was impressed how well these Japanese soldiers held the "dip" detail and how nicely it emphasized shadows, gaps, and folds. I'll definitely incorporate the dip technique in future minis painting projects.

link
link

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP28 Feb 2019 12:19 p.m. PST

You are an indulgent dad! Mind you, so am I – as witnessed by the two dozen Wings of Glory biplanes we have in the basement for No. 4 son

Nicely done and I love the basing

Oberlindes Sol LIC28 Feb 2019 3:38 p.m. PST

How old is your son? This could be a great opportunity to bring him into our world.

Griffon8628 Feb 2019 3:48 p.m. PST

Thanks for the compliments, Frederick. Oberlindes, my son is in third grade but has been gaming with adults in some form or another for years (mostly board games and wargames). He helped me run a Pearl Harbor Wings of Glory game (by his request) and Panzer Kids game at Williamsburg Muster. Still, he likes his imaginative play with toy soldiers, cat figures, and other toys…so I'll see how long these Japanese soldier will last or if he starts taking better care of his stuff.

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP28 Feb 2019 11:29 p.m. PST

I suspect they'd make excellent opponents vs Godzilla, and ninjas too.

john snelling01 Mar 2019 5:41 a.m. PST

It seems you had an enjoyable time at the Muster and I hope to see you there nest year!

Legion 401 Mar 2019 7:42 a.m. PST

And use this as a gateway for him to learn to enjoy and study history. A topic many in the USA both young & old are pretty much clueless …

uglyfatbloke01 Mar 2019 10:07 a.m. PST

Legion…if you think it's bad in the US spare a thought for Scotland – no decent school text books and some really dreadful visitor centres.

Griffon8601 Mar 2019 11:07 a.m. PST

Thanks John. We try to get down in February (and now October, August is too much with beach traffic) and we always have a good time. An opportunity for my son to game, make new kid friends, and chat with his adult friends.

This is all part of his growth and awareness of history, starting with a used-bookstore tome covering various periods with lots of pictures. Then he started asking questions. Then he wanted to know about Pearl Harbor, Roosevelt's "Day of Infamy" speech, even watched Tora Tora Tora. As far as "education" goes, I think it comes down to fostering an inquisitive interest and occasionally/all-too-frequently indluging him.

Oberlindes Sol LIC01 Mar 2019 6:50 p.m. PST

Glad to hear you're recruited him, Grifffon86!

Dn Jackson01 Mar 2019 7:06 p.m. PST

I should get him up with my youngest, (5th grade), at the October show. He's so into cats I'm currently painting a Splintered Light 15mm cat people army for him.

Indulgent father alert…I had to put my 15mm ratmen army on hold for the cat men! Talk about natural enemies!

Legion 402 Mar 2019 8:29 a.m. PST

Legion…if you think it's bad in the US spare a thought for Scotland no decent school text books and some really dreadful visitor centres.
That sad to hear … but as we see across the board, not infrequent. And we all know the old saying about those that don't study history …

Then he wanted to know about Pearl Harbor, Roosevelt's "Day of Infamy" speech, even watched Tora Tora Tora. As far as "education" goes, I think it comes down to fostering an inquisitive interest and occasionally/all-too-frequently indluging him.
Very good to hear ! But sadly he is in the minority. Not only in the USA's youth, but many of our adults as well.

Oppiedog04 Mar 2019 6:54 a.m. PST

Good job in starting him on a lifetime path of fun.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.