Help support TMP

"Kursk #1: The Terrain at Skirmish Level?" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

447 hits since 31 Jan 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian31 Jan 2019 11:40 a.m. PST

The new ruleset, One-Hour Skirmish Wargames, includes a narrative campaign for Kursk, but it's just sketched out – no maps, no orders of battle.

The first scenario involves a German recon party approaching a Russian defense line. The only required terrain is a Russian command post, but the background mentions possible bunkers or trenches.

The rules do not mention a battlefield size, but I presume it would be 3' by 3' to match the previous ruleset in the series.

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP31 Jan 2019 11:55 a.m. PST

This is the typical format favored by some British game designers. Just give you some basic information and then you go figure out how to make it work. So you pay them for the privilege of writing the rules and scenarios yourself. Apparently there are plenty of gamers who favor that type of rules.

jdginaz31 Jan 2019 12:26 p.m. PST

I've never noticed that style to be a particularly British style I've noticed it done by designers on both sides f the Atlantic.

Jozis Tin Man Supporting Member of TMP31 Jan 2019 2:04 p.m. PST

Not to hijack the thread, but I am one of those gamers that prefers that. Being over specific on terrain is a pain, as everyone's terrain collection is different. Plus I never met a scenario I would not tinker with anyway. Horses for courses.

Now back to the topic, here are some examples that you may find useful:
link
link

You may also want to see the Skirmish Campaigns book on kursk: skirmishcampaigns.com/kurskrg

I need to order One Hour Skirmish, I have heard nothing but good things about it. Good luck with your campaign!

Marc at work01 Feb 2019 4:55 a.m. PST

The first of those links _ Service ration etc – is a great site that I often browse, They use a large sand table (and a lot of UK humour). Not sure how historically accurate it is, but it is definitely fun

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.