Help support TMP

"French 1809 Flank grenadiers headwear?" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Naval Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

353 hits since 27 Dec 2018
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Last Hussar27 Dec 2018 1:12 p.m. PST

I'm seeing both shako and bearskins. Why?

marshalGreg27 Dec 2018 2:14 p.m. PST

Most units by 1805/6 were in bearskin.
Later, bearskin became expensive and hard to acquire the skins, so the supply was forcing the shako.
Some units/regiments ( with Colonel wishes and pocket book)continued with the bearskin for some time ( some reported still in use in 1813)
Units in Peninsular is best documented as to who had what, and since under different supply constraints/conditions had a higher percentage with the bearskin IIRC.

To give a good idea of the situation… it was reported during a review of the swiss units by Napeolon, the grendier companies tossed their new shakos into Sine (River), as they saluted as Napoelon passed by. It was said he immediately ordered bearskins to continue with these 4 regiments

marshalGreg27 Dec 2018 2:25 p.m. PST

I have a list of most units in the French 1809 III corps as to who had what ( though not complete and 100% accurate)
DIV Morand
17th
30th-in transistion so perhaps not all battalions
65th

DIV Friant
15th legere
108th
111th

DIV St Hiliare
3rd ligne

DIV Gudin
7th legere- Colpac
21st Ligne

Last Hussar27 Dec 2018 3:01 p.m. PST

Thanks. I'm going to do 1809. Original painting schedule will be on Aspern Essling, but units will need to be pretty generic.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.