Help support TMP

"Pendraken: French Revolutionary Wars" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Product Reviews Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

720 hits since 21 Nov 2018
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pvt Snuffy21 Nov 2018 11:53 a.m. PST

I am amazed at the Pendraken minis, especially the League of Augsburg, Franco-Prussian, and AWI lines. However, in browsing their line, it is clear that not all the lines are up to these, which I assume are new, and the others are a bit dated / stiff looking, whatever, "not as good" is a fair description.

I am interested in the French Revolutionary line, but there are no pics – anyone know what they look like? Are they the amazing new sculpts, or old ones?

Thanks in advance, especially for pics!

JimDuncanUK21 Nov 2018 12:08 p.m. PST

I imagine that they will be older lines if they haven't been advertised much in the last year or two.

I don't recall seeing them advertised recently.

You may get a better response if you go to their forum.

link

Leon Pendraken Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Nov 2018 3:38 p.m. PST

The Revolutionary ranges are older ones unfortunately and were done by a different sculptor, so they don't match up with our other ranges I'm afraid.

In the longer term we'll be replacing the ranges I'd think, but we're talking a few years down the line as we've got to finish off some other projects first.

Personal logo Dye4minis Supporting Member of TMP21 Nov 2018 9:24 p.m. PST

Historically, French revolution figures have not sold very well. When GFI released 15mm Minifigs, we were correctly advised of this fact by the 19th Century guys. With the release of "Revolution and Empire" we thought it was a good choice for a new release. They were correct. We even had specifically packaged Divisions, figures selected by Tod Fisher (whom I still feel is an expert on the French Rev period). Maybe sold half a dozen packs- not even worth the investment in time, materials and money.

Perhaps it is just a matter of a period that has yet to have it's "Prime Time"?

I can understand why Leon may be keeping this on the back-burner because period sales from any scale seem just have not been there.

Chad4722 Nov 2018 3:55 a.m. PST

The current emphasis in figures appears to be 28mm, although there are new 15/18mm in the pipeline from Lancashire Games and Boki Miniatures.
As I told Leon at Pendraken I would have waited for 10mm had it been renewed and extended some time ago. As it is I have growing 15mm forces and modified Napoleonic rules to be tested.

Durban Gamer22 Nov 2018 4:17 a.m. PST

A little off point but…Have seen many of the Pendraken AWI range, and they are indeed superbly sculpted and have incredible variety.

Stoppage22 Nov 2018 5:46 a.m. PST

The irony is that the revolutionary period is the one with all the elan, panache, glory, etc.

Unfortunately the National Characteristic idea has damned the Austrians and no one wants to play them.

Also most modern Napoleonic rulesets are aimed at the latter end.

We need a better version of the WRG rules to revive revolutionary wargaming

von Winterfeldt22 Nov 2018 12:56 p.m. PST

not only more interesting generals, spectacular uniforms, incredible variations of warfare – from sea invasion to alpine warfare – recently a lot of good books were published and are to be published about this interesting period of history.

Pvt Snuffy24 Nov 2018 10:51 p.m. PST

Disappointing.

But I guess I could always go for 1805 French and Prussians in bicorne if I want something interesting. Blue Moon has some lovely figs there.

DHautpol30 Nov 2018 6:15 a.m. PST

As Leon says these are amongst their older ranges and the quality of the sculpting is nowhere near as fine as the new LOA range.

That said, I have bought a fair number recently to be my next project once my LOA project completes in the next few months. I've completed a couple of French battalions and the packs give a good range of headgear and a variety of poses within each pack. A complete battalion looks quite good in a sort of ramshackle way.

If I can get a couple of photos done in the next week and send them to Leon, he might be good enough to post them here, as I can't.

DHautpol30 Nov 2018 6:17 a.m. PST

As Leon says these are amongst their older ranges and the quality of the sculpting is nowhere near as fine as the new LOA range.

That said, I have bought a fair number recently to be my next project once my LOA project completes in the next few months. I've completed a couple of French battalions and the packs give a good range of headgear and a variety of poses within each pack. A complete battalion looks quite good in a sort of ramshackle way.

If I can get a couple of photos done in the next week and send them to Leon, he might be good enough to post them here, as I can't.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.