Help support TMP

"Combat Zone By EM4" Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

540 hits since 2 Nov 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Dragon Gunner03 Nov 2018 2:21 p.m. PST

I was about to buy the Combat Zone game from EM4 then my computer protection software said there was something wrong with the websites "certificate". This gave me the heebie jeebies and I did not place the order. Is there any where else I can purchase this game? I have looked on Ebay and Amazon. Is there another vendor that sells this game?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian03 Nov 2018 2:35 p.m. PST

Be careful about EM4. They apparently have financial problems, not sure about their future.

JimDuncanUK03 Nov 2018 2:43 p.m. PST

What browser were you using?

Toaster03 Nov 2018 3:33 p.m. PST

I've brought from them many times without problems, but not for several years.

Robert

Personal logo mrwigglesworth Supporting Member of TMP03 Nov 2018 3:44 p.m. PST

I always get good service from them.
Email them first.

Dragon Gunner03 Nov 2018 3:55 p.m. PST

Bill thank you for the advice.

I was using Internet Explorer

I can appreciate past good service but that does not mean there are not current problems. A little more research revealed Doug Cowie of EM4 has been silent on this forum since August of 2017 combined with technical difficulties does not bode well.

Does anyone else carry this game currently? A used copy would be welcome!

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP03 Nov 2018 4:10 p.m. PST

This website seems to still be active, maybe a good place to look.

combatzonechronicles.net

gisbygeo03 Nov 2018 4:55 p.m. PST

Hi!

Doug has been silent here because he's semi-retired, and other folk have taken up the slack at eM-4. (As to why or if they are silent here, I cannot say.)

They just did a revamp of their website, and it has been causing them troubles. So any problems you may have are not sinister in nature, just technical.

The obvious answer of course, is just email them and get it sorted out. enquiries@em4miniatures.com

MajorB04 Nov 2018 5:20 a.m. PST

Open Internet Explorer and click on "Tools," or the gear icon. Click "Internet Options" and click on the "Advanced" tab. Navigate to the "Security" subheading and remove the check marks on both the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" and "check for server certificate revocation" options.

That's a daft thing to do. Turning off those checks will mean your browser may not detect actual dodgy websites.

JimDuncanUK04 Nov 2018 5:25 a.m. PST

I've removed the advice.

It came from a company who promote additional security software which they will be happy to sell to you.

Earl of the North04 Nov 2018 7:30 a.m. PST

I was reading this and noticed that me browser (chrome) is telling me that TMP is 'not secure'.

gisbygeo04 Nov 2018 8:07 a.m. PST

Dragon Gunner, please email me (gisby AT mts.net) I may be able to help.

Stryderg04 Nov 2018 9:38 a.m. PST

The interwebs ar shifting to using HTTPS for everything. It's a slow process because not everyone has the technical know how, time, resources or desire to go that route. So, any website that has a certificate that has expired, been revoked or no longer matches the site details gets flagged as a suspicious site.

Our school system just get flagged because we created a sub-domain. Usually an easy process, but it caused our certificate details to be mis-matched and we were down for 2 days.

Short answer – just because your browser says it's suspicious doesn't mean it's nefarious. But it could be…

Lion in the Stars04 Nov 2018 3:18 p.m. PST

Agree with Stryderg.

Did you know that the US government is not a 'trusted' SSL certificate issuer? Any .gov https site gets flagged as suspicious.

So you go to the 'details' button/tab in your browser's suspicious website alert and see *why* the browser is screaming.

RedGoblinCharlie06 Nov 2018 8:01 a.m. PST

Hey Dragon Gunner :)

I hope you're well, I do some work for eM4 and I am currently building a new website as we speak for them and currently do a little bit on social media too. (So financially there are no issues)

What happened with their current website is that their SSL certificate had expired and there hosting company didn't have an auto-renewal on which was rectified shortly.

As Gisbygeo mentioned, Doug is semi-retired now but there are big plans to revive the community and bring out new products.

The main to do first is get the new website live :)

After that, we will need to speak with Bill and look at advertising again on TMP.

All the best & happy gaming!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.