Help support TMP

"A Reboot Of Clavell’s SHOGUN Miniseries?" Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Renaissance Media Message Board

Back to the Classical Asian Warfare Message Board

Back to the Renaissance Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Ancients
Medieval
Renaissance

866 hits since 22 Oct 2018
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Cacique Caribe Inactive Member22 Oct 2018 9:33 p.m. PST

After so many disappointments in recent years when it comes to remakes, reboots and other "re-imagined" versions … I'm afraid to get excited about this at all:

link

What crazy changes will the great wise studio geniuses make, do you think, to either the cast, the setting, story, etc?

Like I said, I'm afraid to get enthusiastic about anything anymore, specially period pieces.

Dan
PS. I just hope it entices people to play and collect "Samurai" ranges, and perhaps come up with a few new Renaissance European figures to throw into the mix. :)

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP23 Oct 2018 2:37 a.m. PST

Not likely to be as good as the original series & certainly more "PC". Probably more flying swordfights & other such nonsense.

Paul

JARROVIAN Supporting Member of TMP23 Oct 2018 4:32 a.m. PST

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Arcane Steve Supporting Member of TMP23 Oct 2018 4:34 a.m. PST

The producers have Board walk Empire and Sopranos on their CV so I would be quite optimistic. One of the producers looks as though she is related to the author. I loved the book and have just enjoyed rewatching the TV series. I hope that this will be just as good, if not better, thanks to improved production values.

Cacique Caribe Inactive Member23 Oct 2018 4:44 a.m. PST

Paul: "Probably more flying swordfights & other such nonsense."

LOL. But flying sword fights did wonders for "The Musketeer" (2001), lifting the filming of period pieces (pardon the pun) to brand new heights!

Maybe Blackthorne will become a better sword fighter than all other samurai, ronin and even the ninja. :)

Dan
link
YouTube link

picture

Legion 423 Oct 2018 5:22 a.m. PST

OUCH !!!!!! huh?

WarWizard23 Oct 2018 5:58 a.m. PST

I really liked the original series. Hope this one does it justice.

Personal logo Stosstruppen Supporting Member of TMP23 Oct 2018 6:05 a.m. PST

Like Arcane Steve, I have recently rewatched the original on youtube, and read the book. And like everyone I hope they do not screw it up. Having finished the book I had opined on FB regarding a reset and who would star in it. Blackthore needs to be a manly man type not one of these sissy boy stars like we have now, not sure who fits that bill. Ken Watanabe as Toranaga, Hiroyuki Sanada as Buntaro, Togo Igawa as either Toranaga's general or the one Christian daimyo…..that's my 2 cents….

Gone Fishing23 Oct 2018 6:16 a.m. PST

I'm not sure I ever saw the original series, and so can't speak on it, but must agree that they will probably make a hash of it this outing. Better to just stick with the book.

jedburgh23 Oct 2018 6:31 a.m. PST

Why not make another of James Clavells doorstep novels Gai-Jin. Set in the Shogunate in 1862 – foreign intevention and plenty of swordplay? Or even a decent version of Tai-pan.

Stryderg23 Oct 2018 7:25 a.m. PST

ooof, I watched the youtube video above from Musketeer. That was pretty bad. I'm almost positive that gravity doesn't work like that.

As for Shogun, we'll add ninjas, lots of ninjas; a love triangle, maybe two love triangles that end up intertwined (shades of the Bachelor); a few female heroins that are forming a rebellion for {insert oppressed group}'s rights; and steam cars, because steam cars are cool.

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP23 Oct 2018 8:15 a.m. PST

I'm reading Shogun at the moment. Listening actually, Audible on my Fire.

I remember sitting in front of the TV waiting for the series to come on. I enjoyed it very much. I believe it is the main reason I have all these painted 28mm Samurai!

As I'm reading and one of the characters speaks… I see the actor in my mind. A bit odd, but nice.

Sloppypainter Inactive Member23 Oct 2018 10:37 p.m. PST

It'll have Aliens, Sasquatch, and Knights Templar -- see the reboot of Star Trek for how to screw up a good program.

skinkmasterreturns24 Oct 2018 4:04 a.m. PST

A waaaay better idea Blackthorn repulses an assault on Japan by Godzilla by using a giant flaming crossbow.

Bill N25 Oct 2018 5:06 a.m. PST

Why? What was in the book that didn't make it onto the screen? What did the movie get wrong from the book? What is there from the historical record that the book and movie missed?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.