Help support TMP

"DIVISION OPERATIONS AREA" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

463 hits since 27 Sep 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Toy Soldier Green Supporting Member of TMP28 Sep 2018 12:31 p.m. PST

How big of an area was typcally assigned for an American Division to operate in?

Legion 428 Sep 2018 1:59 p.m. PST

What type of Division ?

Lee49428 Sep 2018 2:40 p.m. PST

Impossible question. Depends on theater, type of division, terrain, offensive or defensive posture and a myriad of other factors. Divisional frontages in Normandy were on the order of several miles. In the Ardennes prior to the Bulge 10-20 miles. Plus, many American assets were held at corps or army level and could add material amounts of troops and tanks to the basic division. IIRC some infantry divisions in The Bulge had several tank and AT battalions attached making them almost the equivalent of a German Panzer Division. That probably wasn't what you wanted. Sorry!

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP28 Sep 2018 3:21 p.m. PST

I see 1,000 meters per battalion a lot. I think the Germans attacked on a 2 or 2.5 mile frontage, and defended on a 4 or 5 mile frontage. Of course, I think that is textbook or theoretical. Frontages on the Eastern Front could be huge.

Personal logo Toy Soldier Green Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2018 10:10 a.m. PST

Thank you Joe.

Martin Rapier29 Sep 2018 1:50 p.m. PST

Each division in Operation Cobra was allotted a 2km assault frontage, which was a bit on the low side.

As noted above, defensive frontages could be stupidly large distances but the ideal was around 6km (to allow for considerable depth).

Personal logo Toy Soldier Green Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2018 7:56 p.m. PST

Thank you Martin.

Legion 430 Sep 2018 6:36 a.m. PST

And some WWII Divisions by type can have a larger or smaller frontage depending on size & type of Division and mission. I.e. Attack or Defense, etc. E.g. Infantry vs Armor or Airborne, etc. All Div. TO&Es are not the same, of course as we all know.

Personal logo Toy Soldier Green Supporting Member of TMP30 Sep 2018 6:49 a.m. PST

Appreciate that Ralph. BTW your 6mm armies, especially your Epic40K stuff and that GoT battle you did are EPIC!.

Legion 401 Oct 2018 6:20 a.m. PST

Well thank you ! evil grin

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.