Help support TMP

"Automatic weapons fire" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

520 hits since 1 Sep 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Allen5702 Sep 2018 8:16 a.m. PST

How do you depict automatic weapons fire?

Does an automatic weapon fire:

at only one target with a higher chance of getting a hit?

as in squad leader are multiple targets in a straight line effected?

can the weapon sweep an area?

Finally what method of firing is taught in modern armies?

Allen5702 Sep 2018 8:18 a.m. PST

How do you depict automatic weapons fire?

Does an automatic weapon fire:

at only one target with a higher chance of getting a hit?

as in squad leader are multiple targets in a straight line effected?

can the weapon sweep an area?

Finally what method of firing is taught in modern armies?

mwindsorfw Supporting Member of TMP02 Sep 2018 8:36 a.m. PST

A lot of the rules (miniature and boardgame) I see allow an attack on one target with greater strength, or allow you to attack several targets near one another with each attack at a reduced strength. I have seen some complicated rule sets that keep track of a machine guns' firing lane, and allow a reduced strength, opportunity fire attack at anyone moving through that lane.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP02 Sep 2018 10:57 a.m. PST

My rules have you shoot at units not figures, so it's abstracted in to the firepower points of the weapon.

Personal logo Zeelow Supporting Member of TMP02 Sep 2018 12:21 p.m. PST

In my rules: 1) M1 Rifle, semi automatic weapon fires two shots on 1 die as opposed to a rifle that is cocked for every shot (rolls 1 die = 1 hit).
2) a handheld machine gun fires 3 shots (3 dice rolled), may fire at a single figure or up to 3 figures (called hosing). If 1 die wounds a target, and one or both of the other dice also roll a hit, then a target(s) within a 1/4" of the 1st target hit are also hit = hosed rule application. 3) 30 cal machine gun and higher fire four shots. Same rules for hitting multiple targets as #3) above.

Capt. Z

Lion in the Stars02 Sep 2018 1:50 p.m. PST

Several different ways of doing it.

Infinity gives each weapon a Burst value, you can roll up to that many dice. You can spread your shots across multiple targets, but that's less likely to win the opposed die roll than putting all your dice on one target.

The other games I play are all unit-on-unit shooting, so the finer details of full auto weapons get abstracted out. Weapons with a high rate of fire get additional dice, that's it.

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP02 Sep 2018 7:39 p.m. PST

All of the above, like in the old rules set, Tractics.

Gunslinger02 Sep 2018 8:35 p.m. PST

I read a set of rules where you could fire "suppressive fire" and it was a template with a reduced chance to hit for figs under it, or you could fire directly at a target.

tnjrp03 Sep 2018 9:31 p.m. PST

That would be how it works in Defiance. When firing for point effect, you can choose to hit single target multiple times or walk the fire so it has most bases covered. Weapons have a (typically fixed) rate of fire for 1-4 shots per unit activation.

Rather similar mechanic is also found in Infinity, tho IIRC using template suppression doesn't actually reduce your chances to hit but is otherwise restrictive. There is also no walk the fire rule, instead you just pick up to as many targets as the weapon's ROF and resolve the shots against them.

Lion in the Stars04 Sep 2018 4:13 a.m. PST

Infinity 3rd edition did away with suppression fire as a template and instead made it a to-hit penalty to shoot someone in suppression fire while in the suppressor's 180deg firing arc.

While I like the penalty, I think that the front 180 arc of fire is too wide. I'd really like a mix of the two, a narrow template of fire and the to-hit penalty. Maybe not the old 2" wide template, but something narrower than 180deg.

One place you can get into trouble is rules that allow you to pin someone to death (say, Bolt Action).

Martin Rapier04 Sep 2018 7:56 a.m. PST

In tactical games I prefer MGs to have beaten zones, because that is how they work in real life. If someone decides to march an infantry battalion through your MGs beaten zone, they are going to have a bad day.

Beaten zones are deep, 100 yards for a Bren, 200 yards for SFMG (depending on range).

Assault rifles, SMGs etc just treat as regular small arms but take target density into account.

Ferreo Cuore04 Sep 2018 8:32 a.m. PST

the firing training for modern armies will depend mostly on the weapon in use – all automatic weapons are not the same, nor do they all have the same tactical purpose, which affects use.

"Automatic" loosely means that the weapon reloads itself. However, an automatic pistol is a defensive weapon on the battle field, while a squad automatic weapon is more of a burst weapon, a crew served HMG more for sustained fire, and a vehicle mounted weapon has so much ammo and a stable platform that it can almost fire continuously until the barrel melts.

So, "it all depend".

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.