Help support TMP

"Do you allow Commercial Advertising on your Blog?" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the TMP Poll Suggestions Message Board

211 hits since 10 Aug 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Flashman14 Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2018 9:07 a.m. PST

For Blogspot, it's effortless to set up, so I thought I'd try it to see if it was worth anything.

Sadly the ads are mostly Asian dating sites. That has to be based on what my viewers likes, right? I've never been to such a site in my life – even when I was prurient and the internet was new.

I was hoping to steer folks to something more high minded like books, or art.

For polls:

Yes
No
Thinking about it
Have done so in the past
No and I would never
I don't blog
This is ridiculous

Xintao10 Aug 2018 9:15 a.m. PST

No

Stew art Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2018 9:47 a.m. PST

No. And probably never though never say never. Mainly I think it's distracting.

but who knows? if my blog became super popular with a ton of visits and I could make a little $ for hobbies by doing something I'm already doing anyway…
Maybe if I could control the add content, so that it was relative to wargaming.

I don't have anything against blogs that do advertise, but I've never clicked on any of the links except by accident. : )

Wargamorium10 Aug 2018 10:27 a.m. PST

I think they have invaded my wordpress site and I don't know how to get rid of them.
https://thewargamorium.wordpress.com

I can't see them as I am the administrator.

Pauls Bods10 Aug 2018 10:27 a.m. PST

The "Adsense" thingy ?
Nope..
As Stewart has mentioned, itīs a bit distracting and the ad Content canīt be controlled…mind you Peter, Yesterday I did click on an Ad for some rather nice Shirts on your blog :-)
I reckon ads are more for Blogs dealing with Food, Fashion and the like…and after reading some of the articles giving advice on how to blog for monetary success..I start reading and lose the will to live less than halfway through… though maybe Iīm easily dis…trac..ted……..

picture

JimDuncanUK10 Aug 2018 11:07 a.m. PST

No

Bob the Temple Builder10 Aug 2018 11:39 a.m. PST

No, despite all sorts of entreaties to do so.

LTC Reinwald Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2018 1:13 p.m. PST

Yes.

Buckeye AKA Darryl10 Aug 2018 2:38 p.m. PST

Nope, I find it annoying and I do not want my visitors to also be annoyed

21eRegt Supporting Member of TMP11 Aug 2018 4:40 a.m. PST

No.

EricThe Shed11 Aug 2018 6:47 a.m. PST

yes – made about £500.00 GBP in last three years – you can tailor the adverts

Apologies to all those that hate advertising but the money comes in useful…

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Aug 2018 11:54 a.m. PST

No.

But my blog is basically a rambling ad for my business.

Anton Ryzbak11 Aug 2018 2:08 p.m. PST

The ads on Blogger are specific to the viewer, so if they complain about what they are seeing perhaps they need to do a little introspection. You can limit or deny certain types of ads from your Adsense account as well.

23rdFusilier Supporting Member of TMP11 Aug 2018 4:08 p.m. PST

No

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP12 Aug 2018 5:19 a.m. PST

The ads on Blogger are specific to the viewer,

The ads on Blogger are specific to the algorithm and available metadata used by the system. There are all kinds of things that can make those results diverge from a representation of the user. The big ones I deal with frequently are:

- Multiple users associated with the same meta data. If you shared a music streaming subscription with someone who had very different tastes than you, after establishing a data set, it would generate playlists that neither of you like. It would also likely do a poor job of offering you new music that either of you like.

- Algorithm/Data compatibility. Like the "confused" data set above, if the writer(s) of the algorithm don't value the same characteristics as you do, the predictions will not fit you. For example, if I buy a lot of red shirts because my favourite sports team's primary colour is red but don't like red clothes in other contexts, a colour based algorithm may offer me lots of things I am not interested in. And woe be to the algorithm that offers me a traditional rival's jersey because our teams share a colour.

- Insufficient data to draw a conclusion. I watched the Ralph Fiennes/Uma Thurman Averngers movie based on the 60's TV show. Predict a movie that I would like. What if I add Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire? British movies? Adventure? Suspense? Maybe I just like Ralph Fiennes. And speaking of what I like, given two movies I have watched, is one of those two an outlier in my preferences? Well, if you don't have enough data to decide, you can always go with which movies are most popular on the Internet …

And then, without getting technical, there are a lot of computer things and computer security things that can get in the way of collecting and associating metadata with a user.

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP12 Aug 2018 7:27 a.m. PST

No I'm happy for any views and especially comments on my blog, so I won't make any visit unnecessarily annoying.
I'm also philosophically against mass spam of ads.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.