Help support TMP


"10.5cm leFH 16 series howitzers" Topic


1 Post

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.


Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the Interwar (WWI to WWII) Message Board

Back to the Early 20th Century Discussion Message Board



330 hits since 2 Aug 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP02 Aug 2018 12:10 p.m. PST

"When the once-fluid fronts of World War 1 degraded into trench warfare, all sides sought methods for dislodging the entrenched enemy. Artillery was one such weapon and it proved highly critical against all manner of targets – infantry, fortifications, tanks. As such, field guns and howitzers proliferated the various fronts that began to spring up by the time of early 1915. Field guns offered direct line-of-fire attack angles while howitzers dealt with target areas through indirect fire by lobbing their munitions loads. In 1916, the Imperial German Army took on the new "10.5cm leiche Feldhaubitze 16" (105mm light Field Howitzer Model of 1916) series guns. These guns would serve the German Empire until the end of the fighting in November of 1918. Manufacture was through Krupp.

Its design was highly classical, incorporating large, spoked wheels to either side of the box trail carriage arrangement. The gun and recoil mechanism was set atop the mounting hardware which provided an inherent elevation span of -10 to +40 degrees. Traverse was limited to 4-degrees from centerline. The weapon was chambered for a standard 105mm projectile and loaded through a horizontal sliding breech block. The shells were separate loading utilizing a cased charge element. Each projectile weighed 33lbs and were available in a HE (High-Explosive) or AP (Armor-Piercing) flavor. A typical gunnery crew numbered six personnel, each charged with a certain task during the firing and reloading phase and ammunition supplies were only limited to those on hand from artillery tractors or similar stores. The crew was only minimally protected through a curved gun shield ahead of the breech. A cutout along the left-hand side of the shield allowed for protected vision beyond the shield itself…."

picture

Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.