Help support TMP

"2nd Anglo-Mahratta War Book, 1803-05 Halfway completed" Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Media Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Media Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Media Message Board

1,645 hits since 18 Jul 2005
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Andrew Preziosi18 Jul 2005 12:40 p.m. PST

Dear Folder Members,

There may be some minor tweaking with one or two Orders of Battle (I have to add a few items from Sir Patric Cardell's "History of the Bombay Army" to bolster some existing OB's, but as of today the following Orders of Battle are now "officially" complete for my upcoming book on the 2nd Anglo-Mahratta War, 1803-1805.

Many primary sources were used for these Orders of Battle, including Official Dispatches for almost all Battles & Sieges and supplementary congratulatory (or not) General Orders, along with other primary sources, such as personal accounts.

Staff details are included in almost every British OB (except for the 3rd and final phase) and each battle of the 1st Phase includes a complimentary detailed (Battalion/regimental level) Order of Battle for enemy (Scindhian) forces.

In short, you're never going to see such detail in one location on the subject.

The listing of OB's is below:

2nd Anglo-Maratha War: (1803-1805)

1st Campaign (Phase): 1803-1804
Deccan Campaign (Wellesley versus Scindhia)

Deccan.00 Parade State, The British Army of the Deccan, Camp of Hurryhur, March 8th, 1803

Deccan.00A Order of Battle, The Army of Scindia, The Deccan, Jalgaon, July 25th 1803

Deccan.01 Parade State, The British Army of the Deccan, Camp of Ahmednagar, August 7th, 1803

Assaye.00 British Order of Battle, The Battle of Assaye, September 23rd, 1803

Assaye.01 Mahratta Order of Battle, The Battle of Assaye, September 23rd, 1803

Argaum.00 British Order of Battle, The Battle of Argaum, November 29th, 1803

Argaum.01 Mahratta Order of Battle, The Battle of Argaum, November 29th, 1803

1st Campaign (Phase): 1803-1804 (Continued)
The Hindustan Campaign: "Lord Lake's 10,000"

2nd Mahratta.00 Order of Battle, British "Army of India", "Lake's 10,000 ", Camp at Secundra, August 26, 1803

2nd Mahratta.00A Order of Battle, The Army of Perron (Scindia), August 1803

2nd Mahratta.01 Order of Battle, Distribution of British Forces, August 1803

2nd Mahratta.02 Order of Battle, British Assault Column(s) and subsequent actions, Aligargh Fortress, September 3, 1803

2nd Mahratta.02A Order of Battle, Mahratta Garrison, Aligargh Fortress, September 3, 1803

2nd Mahratta.03 Order of Battle, British "Army of India", Battle of Delhi, September 11, 1803

2nd Mahratta.03A Order of Battle, The Army of Scindia, Battle of Delhi, September 11, 1803

2nd Mahratta.04 Order of Battle, British "Army of India", Assault and Siege of Agra, October 4th through 13th, 1803

2nd Mahratta.04A Order of Battle, The Army of Scindia, Battle & Storming of Agra, October 1803

2nd Mahratta.05 Order of Battle, British "Army of India, Battle of Laswaree, November 1st, 1803

2nd Mahratta.05A Order of Battle, The Army of Scindia, Battle of Laswaree (Laswari), November 1st, 1803

2nd Mahratta.06 Order of Battle, British Forces, Siege and Blockade of Gwalior December 21st, 1803-February 5th, 1805

2nd Mahratta.07 Order of Battle, British Forces, Blockade and Assault of Tonk Rampoora, May 10-15, 1804

2nd Campaign (Phase): 1804-1805
All Fronts

2nd M, 2nd Phase.00 Bundelcund Division Operations, July 1804

2nd M, 2nd Phase.01 Order of Battle, British Northern Ghaut Observation Column, "Monson's Retreat", July 7 through August 31st, 1804

2nd M, 2nd Phase.02 Order of Battle, British "Army of India", 2nd Phase of the War, Camp at Secundra, September 27, 1804

2nd M, 2nd Phase.03 Order of Battle, British Garrison, Holkar's Assault and Siege of Delhi, October 8 through 15, 1804

2nd M, 2nd Phase.04 Order of Battle, Infantry Wing, British "Army of India", Battle of Deeg, November 13, 1804

2nd M, 2nd Phase.05 Order of Battle, (Recombined) British "Army of India", Siege and Assault of Deeg, December 3/24, 1804

2nd M, 2nd Phase.06 Order of Battle, British "Army of India", 2nd Phase of the War, Bhurtpore Campaign, January 1st, 1805

2nd M, 2nd Phase.07 Order of Battle, British "Army of India", Siege and 1st Assault of Bhurtpore, January 9th, 1805

2nd M, 2nd Phase.08 Order of Battle, British "Army of India", Siege and 2nd Assault of Bhurtpore, January 21st/22nd, 1805

2nd M, 2nd Phase.09 Order of Battle, British "Army of India", Siege and 3rd Assault of Bhurtpore, February 20th, 1805

2nd M, 2nd Phase.10 Order of Battle, British "Army of India", Fourth and Final Assault of Bhurtpore, February 21st, 1805

2nd M, 2nd Phase.11 Order of Battle and Parade State, British "Army of India", 2nd Phase of the War, May 1st, 1805

2nd M, 2nd Phase.12 Order of Battle, British "Army of India", 3rd and Final Phase of the War, Mutra, October 28, 1805

With the hard part now complete, on to the book writing.

Andrew-KPG Books

Andrew Preziosi20 Jul 2005 4:37 p.m. PST

Gee…whatever you do, don't anyone else get worked up over this!

Upplander05 Jan 2011 4:15 a.m. PST

Does anyone know if this book got finished? thanks.

jammy four Sponsoring Member of TMP05 Jan 2011 11:00 a.m. PST

it would be a real cracker if it was!!

Upplander06 Jan 2011 2:27 a.m. PST

Yes it would and I would definately have a copy! Maybe Mr Preziosi can shed some light?

Andrew Preziosi06 Jan 2011 7:12 a.m. PST

Mike Embree was Very Mean at me this morning and told me to get my butt over here, FAST!

Anyway…nothing has been done per se (except constant updating of the OBs) due to the fact that I am working with the famed Game Designer Richard H. Berg on a Quadrigame based on the Deccan and Bengal battles of 1803 for GMT (link below)

I also go ahold of some more excellent primary source material too!

Judging from your response though (since this was seemed like a dead letter initially), let me get with Patrick Wilson at TVAG and see what we can do!

Thanks for your interest!

Andrew

Andrew Preziosi06 Jan 2011 7:32 a.m. PST

Here are a few links to the "Wellington in India" folder over at CSW that should picque your interest. (You can read all the postings for Free).

The first one if the most recent, the second the very start of the folder:

link

link

Commentary, here or there, would be most welcome!

Upplander07 Jan 2011 2:39 a.m. PST

Andrew, I do hope you can get this book off the ground and from what I have read on TMP Patrick Wilson is the man to make it happen. I reckon it would become the definitive book on the subject from a wargaming point of view. Good luck and I have my fingers crossed that it will happen. Forgive my ignorance but is Wellington in India a boardgame or computer game? Thanks.

Andrew Preziosi07 Jan 2011 7:56 a.m. PST

Wellington is a board war game, however, the map you see is a Cyberboard module for the playtest version, generously provided to RHB and myself by Andy Loakes and Limey-Yank Games (LYG).

CB is neat, because it allows you to play the game on your computer and leave it set up where you left off. You still have to use the rules and roll for events (die roll machine provided), but it is a great boon to the hobby.

Upplander08 Jan 2011 4:24 a.m. PST

I am not a board gamer as such but this quadrigame looks interesting and I find that board games maps and counters can be a useful aide when planning and organising wargames. I would be very interested in owning one. Is there a release date for this yet? Sorry to bombard you with questions!

Andrew Preziosi08 Jan 2011 9:24 a.m. PST

No problem at all.

We are still playtesting/developing the game, but the major system rules kinks are pretty much cleaned up, so we're working on the battles and any chrome polish needed.

The game should be ready late Summer for the P500 subscription process, and since it's both an RHB game and a subject much in demand, it should clear the hurdles w/in 90 days…which means there is a good shot it will be avail early next year.

Keep checking into the folder on CSW, we regularly update the progress of the game.

sjwalker3827 Feb 2011 3:18 p.m. PST

Andrew, I'd be very interested in these OOBs, if you can sort something out with Patrick regarding publication.

Andrew Preziosi28 Feb 2011 7:28 a.m. PST

SJ et al,

They are already complete and under Patrick's wing, for sale individually, but we both think a book with an account of the war, maps, etc…would be a better "showcase".

Mike Embree has been kind enough to keep an ey on this folder for me and I'll be passing this on to Patrick also,

Thanks for your votes (of confidence).

BoomBoom07 Sep 2011 10:32 p.m. PST

Would appreciate to know where the OOBs can be obtained, and the status of the book. Thanks.

Andrew Preziosi08 Sep 2011 6:48 a.m. PST

BoomBoom…the groundwork OBs are finished and complete and can be purchased from Patrick Wilson at TVAG (Email below).

tvag AT att DOT net

However, I have at least two, if not three, books that I owe TVAG, but Patrick and I have also agreed upon a mutually acceptable solution to work around that slight roadblock…stay tuned.

You can keep track of the Sikh Wars book conversation by going here:

TMP link

Thanks for your interest,

Andrew

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.