Help support TMP

"GW Jeffrey's "The Napoleonic Wargame"" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

824 hits since 11 Jul 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Whirlwind Supporting Member of TMP11 Jul 2018 7:12 a.m. PST

Has anyone ever unburied the rules hidden within GW Jeffrey's "The Napoleonic Wargame" link and made a workable set – or even a QRS – from them?

ernieR11 Jul 2018 8:02 a.m. PST

good Lord man ! that book is older than most of the people on this forum !

hahah

just looked at my copy , still has the $4.95 USD price tag on it :)

Ed Mohrmann Supporting Member of TMP11 Jul 2018 8:37 a.m. PST

I tried once, years ago. Failed, of course.

JimDuncanUK11 Jul 2018 9:25 a.m. PST

I have four original copies (slightly different) of George's rules in my possession, various dates and scales.

Give me a short while and I'll collate the information with the book.

You can check my credentials as I am mentioned in the credits in George's book.

BillyNM11 Jul 2018 10:18 a.m. PST

If you succeed I'd like a copy too – I've got the book but they are a very hard read and the rules are buried through out the text. The worst laid out set of rules – for playing from the book – that I've ever come across. Also there's a lot frustration expressed against other wargamers whose ideas don't meet his 'standards'. I did like his variable bound concept and found some of his mechanisms thought provoking and novel and that can't be said about many rule writers these days.

JimDuncanUK11 Jul 2018 10:19 a.m. PST

I have four versions in total.

Yellow covered copy dated 12th September 1972 probably produced for a 'big game' lasting a weekend. Figure scale is 1:40 and a bound (move) is 2 minutes. I was at that game (I commanded the Imperial Guard), probably 4 or 5 players a side and used 25mm figures.

Uncovered set dated 1st May 1973 specially written for 15mm figures. Ground scale is 1 mm to 1 yard, figures scale is 1:30 for infantry, 1:12 for cavalry and a bound is 2 minutes. I don't recall playing in a game with them although some did take place.

Uncovered set dated 1973 described as Issue 2 specially written for 25/30 mm figures. Ground scale is 1 inch to 10 yards, figure scale is 1:18 for infantry, 1:9 for cavalry, 1:2 for guns and a bound is 1 minute. I may have played in smaller games at the club with these rules.

Uncovered set dated 1973 described as Issue 2 specially written for 15 mm figures. Ground scale is 1 mm to 1 yard, figure scale is 1:27 for infantry, 1:12 for cavalry, 1:2 for guns and a bound is 2 minutes. I don't recall playing with these rules although they must have been used.

George was a serving sergeant (acting colour sergeant if I remember correctly) in the British Army (Royal Scots) and he was called away to serve abroad in the 1974 Cyprus Crisis. He didn't return to the club in an active form thereafter.

His book, "The Napoleonic Wargame" was published in 1974. I have never taken the time (considerable) to compare the book with the rules in my possession.

A short while after this George started to develop his 'variable bound' rules for Napoleonic Wargaming. I never got involved in that.

Jim

Glenn Pearce11 Jul 2018 10:35 a.m. PST

Hello John!

My copy was five dollars Cdn.

In the 70s we found it way too complicated, but often used it for reference. We later used "Napoleonic Rules For A Large-Scale Wargame with small-scale miniatures" written by I think Cliff Knight and another fellow as our rules for a number of years. They were based on a number of GWJ ideas.
We later developed our own rules using these as a foundation. Before his passing a number of fellows including GWJ were working on "Code Napoleon" that is now a Yahoo Group called "VLB" (variable length bound). Over time we dropped all of his concepts as rule design developed to a point that made his rules no longer practical (in our view).

Best regards,

Glenn

MajorB11 Jul 2018 11:42 a.m. PST

We later used "Napoleonic Rules For A Large-Scale Wargame with small-scale miniatures" written by I think Cliff Knight and another fellow as our rules for a number of years. They were based on a number of GWJ ideas.

Same here. It is a workable distillation of the concept.

NedZed11 Jul 2018 11:14 p.m. PST

Cliff Knight and Peter Dennis. Peter was the prime mover in producing that set, He and Cliff gamed together. Peter had been involved in play testing GWJ's Code Napoleon ("CN") set. When we finally stopped trying to make CN playable and publishable, Peter asked and got no objection from George's to modify George's ideas and put out the "Large-Scale" rules.

Dexter Ward12 Jul 2018 2:49 a.m. PST

That book spends most of its time trashing everybody else's rules, and not nearly enough explaining the rules.
VLB seemed to work when George Jeffreys ran the game himself, but never worked when someone else tried to do it. It's one of those ideas that sounds simple, but the devil is in the detail and it is really hard to get it working in practice.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.