Help support TMP

"Yekaterinoslav cuirassiers banners from Peter I" Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Media Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

380 hits since 1 Jul 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

marshalGreg02 Jul 2018 7:36 a.m. PST

In my research of the Russian cuirassier flags for the 1812 campaign, I have come across two versions/descriptions of this unit and possibly the Gloukhow regt.
The main difference is the metal color of the star or sun that the eagle points too.
The latest is from source in a recent TMP post which shows it as a gold one and has put doubt to what I had at the time.

picture

My original ( can't find the source at the moment) had a silver color round body with the central cross in gold.
So which one is the most correct?
Can this be indicated with t a solid source to back it up?

Thank you for all replies in advance.
MG

Personal logo jeffreyw3 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member02 Jul 2018 8:50 a.m. PST

Wise's "Flags of the Napoleonic Wars(2)" notes, "The eagle, radiance, cyphers and crowns were gold for all regiments; the braid, corner wreaths, and border decoration being gold for all regiments except…which had silver" The Glukhov and Yekaterinoslav regiments are in the exceptions list. Each regiment had one white, and four colored standards per regiment (except Kiev and Kharkov dragoons). White standards had a white field and green corner medallions, and the colored, green fields and white corner medallions.

Personal logo jeffreyw3 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member03 Jul 2018 7:50 a.m. PST

I was noodling around and ran into this from Viskovatov: "Yekaterinoslav Cuirassiers: (9 January, 1798) 5 Standards: one with a white field with sky blue corners; the rest with an orange field with sky blue corners silver embroidery and fringe."

This sounds more likely than Wise.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.