Help support TMP

"AK 74 Republic?" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2008-present) Message Board

581 hits since 24 Jun 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tgunner24 Jun 2018 7:00 p.m. PST

Has anyone ever tried using Peter Pig's AK 47 Republic for ultra-modern games? Granted, they are rather generic for the different forces, but I think they would be pretty decent for ultra-modern actions between rather poorly equipped forces. Maybe the Ukraine?

What do you guys think?

Tgunner24 Jun 2018 7:00 p.m. PST

Has anyone ever tried using Peter Pig's AK 47 Republic for ultra-modern games? Granted, they are rather generic for the different forces, but I think they would be pretty decent for ultra-modern? Maybe the Ukraine?

What do you guys think?

Tgunner24 Jun 2018 7:02 p.m. PST

Humm… me thinks the Bug does approve of this thread.

Prince Alberts Revenge24 Jun 2018 7:22 p.m. PST

For clarification, I use the earlier rendition of AK47 Republic and don't know much about the more recent edition. I love that set of rules. Very adaptable for alot of 20th century conflicts. A tank is a tank in my edition, it doesn't really matter if it has reactive armor or is a WW2 relic, its about what it means in relation to the mopes trying to knock it out.. I used it for the 1982 Israeli actions against Syrians and PLO. I think AK47 is best for when a conflict is more about morale and training and less about gear. High tech weapons like ATGM aren't factored into the rules. I think the Ukraine could be handled in it if you are going for militias fighting each other with old Soviet era gear, Aks and RPGs. I think the pre battle charts could easily be adapted for the theater of conflict.

Tgunner24 Jun 2018 7:33 p.m. PST

That's what I was thinking: militia v militia. Insurgents with some Russian soldiers on *vacation* (little green men) going up against questionable Ukrainian Army troops the National Guard battalions/militia. Vehicles would be T72s going up against T64s and both sides playing with BMPs and BTRs. I have the first edition too and can see the charts only needing some minor twisting to fit the scenario.

khanscom25 Jun 2018 7:43 a.m. PST

"Wargames Illustrated" No. 133 for October 1988 has just such an adaptation. "Sci-Fi on the Rhine…" by Dominic Skelton. Has some organizational info for Soviet tank and motor rifle cos., German Pz. Grenadiers, and USMC; Charts for light and heavy ATGM and some expanded detail for armored vehicles.

Lion in the Stars25 Jun 2018 3:50 p.m. PST

My copy of AK47 Republic actually has entries for 'Professional Military Forces' like Israelis or US troops.

Shouldn't be hard to extrapolate from there.

Tgunner26 Jun 2018 10:46 a.m. PST

I must have the older version because I don't have that entry.

So what would be good matchups for forces in Ukraine?

Ukrainian Army- inept and poorly motivated regulars.

Ukrainian National Guard- poorly trained and equipped but motivated amateurs.

Russian insurgents- well equipped and motivated amateurs.

Russian vacationers! almost professional, if a bit disorganized, regulars.

Anyone I'm missing?

I can see super-power client army for many of these but it would get boring for that to be used too much.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.