Help support TMP

"Printer Recommendations" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 3D Printing Message Board

468 hits since 18 Jun 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Stosstruppen Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2018 10:57 a.m. PST

What you recommend for a printer that provides a pretty decent product and is affordable. I would be printing terrain mostly.

21eRegt18 Jun 2018 1:12 p.m. PST

I've had good luck with a Creality CR-10 which I got for 400USD a year+ ago. There are superior models that have come out since then I'm told.

Royal Air Force18 Jun 2018 3:25 p.m. PST

I'm using a Prusa Mk2S. Running a lot of terrain thru it with no issues

UshCha19 Jun 2018 2:04 a.m. PST

I use a Replicator 2

To be Honest I have seen Wanho duplcator I3 that are Cheap and as good as my Replicator.

If I had to replace mine an Ulimaker 2+ looks Good. It depends what you want.

Most of the cheap ones that work go down to 0.1mm layer height.

The Ultimaker 2+ has changeable nozzles and can go down to about 0,03mm. However at this speed its a lot slower and probably not worth it for terrain. Its only really worth it for very small items (i have seen windscreen wipers for 12/32 card as a good use) and at a guess 1/144 figures which I do.

The Ulimaker 3 is even better and is optimized for 2 head printing but its a lot more expensive and is really useful only if you are into soluble support material.

I only print in PLA so vent systems are not an issue for me.

Can't speak for resin printers I don't want resin in the house.

If you look at most Kick starters for terrain they are designed to be used with relatively Cheap printers.

Whatever you get look into paying for Simplify 3D it makes a massive difference in performance and speed to getting supports in.

Look at some of my threads there are pictures of what the replicator can do.

thehawk19 Jun 2018 8:37 a.m. PST

Resin printers have a very small build area compared to filament printers, so whilst good for figures and vehicles poor for terrain.

Rev Zoom19 Jun 2018 10:49 a.m. PST

I have a Prusa Mk2.5S and a Sindoh 3dWox 201. I far and away prefer the Sindoh (especially when I was first getting my feet wet) – never an issue whereas the Prusa can be fiddly. The only downside is there are not as many filament types for the Sindoh compared to the Prusa. But, being as I paint all my stuff anyway, that is not an issue.

imrael20 Jun 2018 12:04 p.m. PST

Flashforge creator pro here the old wooden frame version.
Its been good. I also had an Up! mini for a while good for instant start. The pinboard build platform is interesting and worked well.

And I agree about Simplify 3D I've just switched to it and it make a big (positive) difference.

Pythagoras20 Jun 2018 4:26 p.m. PST

Creality Ender 3 is a good starting machine and is affordable. About $200 USD shipped at some online stores.

Personal logo Andrew Walters Supporting Member of TMP26 Jun 2018 7:51 p.m. PST

Better narrow down what "affordable" means. There are a lot of great printers around $400. USD There are a couple good ones around $100. USD

I'm using a Monoprice Mini Delta ($159) and having a great time. If you have $400 USD to spend, you can definitely get a better printer. But if you *really* mean affordable, the Mini Delta is fast and has a fairly high resolution.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.