Help support TMP

"2019 Historicon News" Topic

60 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

3,067 hits since 3 Jun 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 

Personal logo Colonel Bill Supporting Member of TMP06 Aug 2018 5:56 a.m. PST

The hotel issue is no problem for me as I am going to stay at a nice hotel 10 minutes away with a direct shot downtown so I can use my Wyndham Rewards points. For a full suite that's either free or $ 52.00 +/- a night depending on how many points I use. I'm happy.

So parking is $ 7.00 a day? I'm happy here as well, though I do wonder if that includes in and out privileges.

My only concern is also loading and unloading. The convention site seems to have ample loading docks, but their instruction pdf specifically indicates that once a car has been emptied at the loading dock, it must be moved immediately. The question I have is how do we secure our gaming material at the loading dock while we are parking our car? Or did I misread something?

Ciao, Colonel Bill

ageofeagles.com

Double G Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Aug 2018 1:26 p.m. PST

"With the changes going on at the "Tennis Barn", it will quickly become unusable as a vendor space. This building will soon have only the 1 overhead door and a very tight driveway to access the building (I do not think the changes to the old parking lot will help us in any way since we will most likely be unable to access the building from that side). Trying to get all of the vendors through that choke point is going to be very interesting. Other than that we have outgrown this space and cannot fit all of the vendors in there. I just don't see the Host as a very viable location going forward."

Ah, the ultimate irony; the Host finally gets renovated to be removed from "the place is a dump" status, but the renovations result in the tennis bard footprint shrinking and also the dealer load in and load out becoming a royal ballache.

As I've stated before, imagine the parking situation for Cold Wars in March with a foot of snow on the ground and worse yet, snow the day/week of the show and trying to load in and out in a much smaller space, jockeying for space with trucks, trailers and vans.

Losing that parking lot next to the building made the load in/out at Historicon a real challenge, I don't to attempt that in the late winter/early spring with bad weather on deck.

The true definition of "Be careful what you wish for"……….

vagamer63 Supporting Member of TMP08 Aug 2018 6:10 a.m. PST

Colonel Bill,

If you read the PDF posted on pg. 1 of this thread you will note that vehicles using the loading dock are required to have an "Unloading Pass" to enter the area, and vehicles will be assigned a time upon which they will be admitted to the area. Vehicles without a pass, or attempting to enter the area outside their authorized time frame will not be admitted. Also, the Loading Dock area will not be available for use by any unauthorized vehicles.

As far as In & Out privileges from what has been stated thus far from Officials of HMGS the only area which has unlimited In & Out at any of the garages are those with a room at the Marriott who park in the Motel Parking Garage for free with unlimited In & Out. Unless they've Contracted otherwise, I believe, as is typical in most Parking Garages, you'll be charged the one time fee EACH time you come & go at the outlying garages.

dapeters08 Aug 2018 11:09 a.m. PST

The other question is overnight parking permitted in the 7 dollar lot?

coolyork Supporting Member of TMP08 Aug 2018 12:50 p.m. PST

That drive down the much vaunted I95 corridor is looking better all the time !

TRUgamer08 Aug 2018 5:10 p.m. PST

VAgamer63 said:
"As far as In & Out privileges from what has been stated thus far from Officials of HMGS the only area which has unlimited In & Out at any of the garages are those with a room at the Marriott who park in the Motel Parking Garage for free with unlimited In & Out. Unless they've Contracted otherwise, I believe, as is typical in most Parking Garages, you'll be charged the one time fee EACH time you come & go at the outlying garages."

This is flat out incorrect! HMGS negotiated the $7 USD rate for all of the downtown parking garages with in and out privileges!!
I wish people wouldn't spread unsubstantiated manure around and get everyone worked up for no reason at all!

Especially when they (you) have no intention of attending any future HMGS conventions!!

coolyork:
If you say so… if you say so….

TRU

Double G Sponsoring Member of TMP08 Aug 2018 5:46 p.m. PST

"If you read the PDF posted on pg. 1 of this thread you will note that vehicles using the loading dock are required to have an "Unloading Pass" to enter the area, and vehicles will be assigned a time upon which they will be admitted to the area. Vehicles without a pass, or attempting to enter the area outside their authorized time frame will not be admitted. Also, the Loading Dock area will not be available for use by any unauthorized vehicles."

Nope, sorry, you are wrong.

The "unloading pass" is for vehicles that are to be driven into the building, similar to the idiotic vehicle display they had several years ago for Historicon at the FCC; that was the year some clambrain thought it would be a good idea to move the deuce and a half with the loading door closed so we could all breathe those wonderful diesel fumes while the moved the truck around.

So there are no unloading passes for gamers or vendors.

coolyork Supporting Member of TMP08 Aug 2018 6:47 p.m. PST

TRUgamer , Just kidding around !

Personal logo Bowman Supporting Member of TMP09 Aug 2018 3:44 a.m. PST

I wish people wouldn't spread unsubstantiated manure around and get everyone worked up for no reason at all!

Especially when they (you) have no intention of attending any future HMGS conventions!!

After the HMGS decided to pull out of the FCC, vagamer63 announced on TMP that he would not go to another HMGS event. Fair enough.

Since then he finds it necessary to comment on all the HMGS conventions. All his posts amount to "peeing in the well" as TRUgamer accurately points out. Please consider this context when reading vagamer63's comments. He seems to be still cranky that they moved Historicon.

TRUgamer09 Aug 2018 8:16 a.m. PST

coolyork… it's all good!

TRU

Pages: 1 2 

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.