Help support TMP

"8 Iconic Paintings of the Battle of Waterloo" Topic

23 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

702 hits since 25 May 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP25 May 2018 3:32 p.m. PST

If you have to choose one of them….which one would it be?…

Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo svsavory Supporting Member of TMP25 May 2018 5:22 p.m. PST

Of the eight shown, my favorite is the Prussians storming Plancenoit.

Last Hussar25 May 2018 5:36 p.m. PST

I have a large version of Hougoumont, and smaller ones of Wellington rallying the square, plus Wellington and army on the march before hand.

377CSG Supporting Member of TMP25 May 2018 9:10 p.m. PST

Plancenoit – combat in the streets.

BillyNM25 May 2018 9:51 p.m. PST

as an 'Iconic' image I'll have to go for the squares receiving the cavalry charges, but my favourite is undoubtedly the Prussians in Plancenoit.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP26 May 2018 1:35 a.m. PST

The best is, I think Plancenoit. The most useful, for me, was Croft's, as he clearly got to see Napoleon's carriage in the "flesh", before it was lost to fire. Some very useful details of something that is remarkably poorly documented in photographic images

langobard Supporting Member of TMP26 May 2018 6:24 a.m. PST

Another vote for the Plancenoit image.

holdit26 May 2018 6:49 a.m. PST

Plancenoit for me too, but my all-time favourite Waterloo painting is probably the one of Hougoumont by Denis Dighton:

picture

14Bore26 May 2018 8:42 a.m. PST

3, then 8

Ember52 Supporting Member of TMP26 May 2018 10:45 a.m. PST

I'd agree with BillyNM. British squares receiving charges of the cuirassiers as the most iconic. Prussian street-fighting in Plancenoit as my favorite.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP26 May 2018 11:08 a.m. PST

Thanks…!

I'm for Plancenoit too…!

Amicalement
Armand

Redcurrant26 May 2018 3:07 p.m. PST

I have to vote for the charge of the Scots Greys

Handlebarbleep26 May 2018 4:14 p.m. PST

I'm afraid the historical inaccuracies of Lady Butler's work put me off a little. The Placenoit picture has the right 'feel' and has the added attraction that I've had a very pleasant lunch just opposite there, where i had the great pleasure to briefly meet the late Jacques Logie.

AussieAndy Supporting Member of TMP27 May 2018 3:16 a.m. PST

Scotland Forever! I don't care about the inaccuracies.

Gazzola27 May 2018 6:47 a.m. PST

There have been some great images shown and here are two more impressive portrayals of the great battle, including Dumoulin's massive panorama.

link

picture

Gazzola27 May 2018 6:51 a.m. PST

The picture above is of the French attacking La Haye Sainte is by Knotel. I linked it but the actual image is shown rather than the link. I haven't a clue why? Must have been something I pressed. The link that did work however, connects to Dumoulin's Waterloo massive panorama.

I forgot to mention that of the original eight images shown, my favourite is the Plancenoit image, with the Closing of the Gates a very close second.

Huscarle28 May 2018 5:16 a.m. PST

5 The British Squares receiving the Charge of the French Cuirassiers.
3 Scotland Forever!

Personal logo COL Scott ret Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2018 7:53 a.m. PST

Not sure I can choose just one, probably 2 3, and 4. I like the way that those paintings have a clear focal point. Not looking at them as research but art.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2018 10:39 a.m. PST

Glad you like them all my friend.

Amicalement
Armand

holdit29 May 2018 6:51 a.m. PST

Not looking at them as research but art.

I like how in the Knoetel La Haye Sainte picture, the mounted officer, the arch and the top of the farmhouse gable form a triangle, whose apex points towards…La Haye Sainte.

Trajanus30 May 2018 5:47 a.m. PST

The Philippoteaux painting always makes me wonder if the artist had ever been to Waterloo. That said of the OP choices I like Plancenoit the best.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP30 May 2018 5:54 a.m. PST

Even those who did go there, pre the Mound, show huge hills in every direction. If you do ever go, make a point of standing at the Gordon monument and then decide whether to skip down to the road or take the long way around. I know what we did and it is the one remnant that shows just how sunken was the road at that point. It is quite a drop!

The "hollow ways" are also evident as you leave Papelotte/La Haye/Smohain for La Belle Allinace and they are deeper than any WWI trench.

holdit30 May 2018 8:33 a.m. PST

Looks can be deceiving. From somewhere with a view, you can survey the battlefield and wonder "Call that a ridge?", but if you walk a little off the road into the field in front of La Haye Sainte, and look towards the Allied position from the point of view of someone who has to advance up it, it looks a lot more formidable.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.