Help support TMP

"Thoughts on the dress of the King’s German Legion" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

535 hits since 24 May 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango0124 May 2018 9:01 p.m. PST

Of possible interest?

link

Amicalement
Armand

langobard Supporting Member of TMP25 May 2018 1:20 a.m. PST

Quite interesting, thanks Armand!

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP25 May 2018 1:25 a.m. PST

Of great interest.

I do hope others, esp those who are also experts on the subject, will look at this in detail and comment. I imagine there must be other relics in German museums the author may have missed……….

But this is excellent research

Marc at work25 May 2018 3:42 a.m. PST

This is what I love

"This eyewitness image of 1813 includes some obvious inaccuracies, but is still important and useful."

I love it when experts dismiss the eye witness sketches because it may, or may not, fit in with what they are expecting, or "know" to be true.

I see so many contemporary sketches that seem to bear little resemblance to what I "know" from my modern uniform books, that I dismiss them as naive, or wrong. But in the days of hand made clothing, and field expediency, I often wonder just how accurate we can ever be. Yet people ("experts") we often say "only use contemporary images", except when they dismiss them as wrong – as above.

As can be seen from 70 years ago with the colour of US uniforms – olive drab or somesuch – yet every garment pictured appears a different shade.

And in the modern British army I believe the troopers often source their own boots and pieces of kit as they can get better quality than "official army issue".

Have fun

Having said that, this is an incredibly detailed piece of work, that will cause no end of debate for KGL fans.

Luckily, at my scale, it looks like I can continue to use British troops to represent them.

Good find Armand

Tango0125 May 2018 11:52 a.m. PST

Happy you like it my friends!. (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP25 May 2018 2:00 p.m. PST

Firstly you have done a huge service by finding this.

But, secondly, why have you posted again, with thanks, if only to put back to the top of the list? Or is that the point?

This is a cut and paste exercise. You say "Happy you like it etc" for every posting, without adding any content. It is that trick, again, to keep it at the top of any forum.

I only say this because I know how much we owe you, for your contributions. Without you, I reckon we would lose maybe 30% of our new topics.

I do find myself doubting that you are a sentient human being and not, instead, a self aware IT programme that will, one day, trigger Armageddon.

You never cease to amaze us all, with your contribution….and I know that goes way beyond Napoleonics…so may be we should cut you some slack (Grin)

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP25 May 2018 2:06 p.m. PST

Firstly you have done a huge service by finding this.

But, secondly, why have you posted again, with thanks, if only to put back to the top of the list?

This is a cut and paste exercise. You say "Happy you like it etc" for every posting, without adding any content. It is that trick, again, to keep it at the top of any forum.

I only say this because I know how much we owe you, for your contributions. Without you, I reckon we would lose maybe 30% of our new topics. I do find myself doubting that you are a sentient human being and not, instead, a self aware IT programme that will, one day, trigger Armageddon,.

Marc the plastics fan25 May 2018 3:11 p.m. PST

Liam. Why are you double posting? Is it just to put this thread back at the top :-)

LoL

Tango0125 May 2018 9:52 p.m. PST

Marc… dude! (smile)

My dear friend Liam … I think I remember that you have already questioned this in the past … and also that I have answered it … but in this case involving a dear friend like you … I am going to repeat it … it is merely a courtesy formula … of thanks and recognition to those people who took the time and work to comment on something in a thread that I posted in the Forum … I could not avoid that because of education and manners to show them that I have read their comment / answer and that I'm really glad they liked it ….

Simple like that … all theads last here less than a feather in the wind … and with the amount that I contribute each day … which are higher or lower, it is of no importance…. at all!

As long as I continue participating in TMP, I will always comment on how happy I am that someone has enjoyed even minimally a thread of my origin …

I sincerely hope to have answered your concern ….

Amicalement
Armand

Jcfrog Supporting Member of TMP26 May 2018 1:51 a.m. PST

Did not know they wore dresses.
Though in a campaign I saw fantasy players trying to have a go at reality, putting the Guards in dresses in the Balkan, to surprise a turkish camp by approaching it early morning. With fruits. Inventive though.

Tango0126 May 2018 11:01 a.m. PST

Indeed!….

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.