Help support TMP

"Benedict Arnold as a British officer uniform " Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

438 hits since 21 May 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2018 8:51 a.m. PST

When he was leading British forces in Virginia, what was his rank?
What color facings would he have worn?
Has anyone ever painted him up as a British officer?

Personal logo 22ndFoot Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2018 10:23 a.m. PST

When Arnold gave up his first treason with his second, he was appointed a Brigadier General and held that commission on his campaign in Virginia. Presumably he wore the uniform appropriate to that – with blue facings.

23rdFusilier Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2018 11:23 a.m. PST

If I remember Arnold negotiated his price for turning over West Point and it's garrison. One price if successful and another if not. His commission was regardless of result.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2018 2:19 p.m. PST

Not saying you're wrong, 22nd, but he's also Colonel of the Loyal American Legion--short-tailed red coats and green facings. I'd be inclined to put him in green facings anyway, just so I could tell which one he was.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2018 2:47 p.m. PST

Ah. Good point.

Personal logo 22ndFoot Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2018 3:44 p.m. PST

Fair point and a perfectly valid approach. That said, he'd have to have had both uniforms made up in New York at that time. Being the sort of chap he obviously was, I suspect he'd have gone with the grander.

Stephen Brumwell's new one, Turncoat: Benedict Arnold and the Crisis of American Liberty is published next week.

historygamer23 Jun 2018 1:12 p.m. PST

Not sure how I missed this thread. Major General was the fist official general's commission in the British Army. Brigadier Generals (not just Brigadiers, which is a more modern rank in the British Army) were a field command, often fulfilling be Lt. Cols and Cols. Point being, there was no official uniform for them. That said, some Brigadier Generals may have had a uniform made up to reflect their temporary rank.

Here is perhaps a portrait of Fraser in an undress Brigadier General's coat (no embroidery – generals did not wear lace). His right shoulder cannot be seen, but generals wore one gold epaulet on the right shoulder up to the rank of Lt. General

link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.