Help support TMP

"Courier Index: Volume I Numbers 1 to 6" Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the History of Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Magazines and Periodicals Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Ruleset

Wonder

Rating: gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

Derivan Paints: Striking It Lucky With Colour

Sometimes at a convention, you can be just dead lucky and find a real bargain.

Featured Workbench Article

Crayola Bases for Trees

A simple way to make scenic bases.

Featured Profile Article

Gen Con So Cal 2005

Our Man in Southern California once again reports on GenCon California-style...

Current Poll

653 hits since 1 May 2018
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Russ Lockwood02 May 2018 1:07 p.m. PST

News

Table Top Talk "New" Gaming Ideas? I-1
Review: Origins '79, Dick Bryant reports on the convention. Photos included. I-3
Origins 80 News, Dick Bryant brings a Courier exclusive to your attention. I-4
Publications News I-5
Gatherings I-5
Pricing News I-5
TV and Movie News I-5
Society Weekend and the Old Colony Wargames Club I-6

Reviews

Minifig 25mm Assyrian, Egyptian Bowmen, I-1
Minifig 25mm Napoleonic: Denmark and Sweden, I-1
Dragon Tooth 25mm Fantasy, I-1
Ral Partha 25mm Ancients, I-1
Book: Elusive Victory (Arab-Israeli Wars) I-2
Rules: Two Colonial Sets I-2
Figures: Ral Partha Landsknechts I-2
Hinchcliffe 7 Years War, Napoleonic, Western Gunfighters I-3
Mike's Models 15mm Byzantines, Han Dynasty Chinese I-3
Book: Numbers, Predictions, & War I-3
Figure Review: Minifig Indian Mutiny
Book Reviews: Trio of World War III
Minifigs: Pirates; Ancient Egyptians/Assyrians; Gladiators I-5
Lamming: Ancient Classic Greeks/Persians I-5
Colonial Rules: The Sword and the Flame I-5
Lamming Renaissance I-6
Dixon Renaissance I-6
Vulcan Middle Ages I-6
Osprey: Leipzig 1813 I-6
Prince August Molds I-6

Sapper's Report (Terrain)

Sapper's Report: Catapult making, I-1
Sapper's Report Build a Siege Tower. I-2
Sapper's Report Scratch Built Gabions. I-3
Sapper's Report Castle Construction. I-5

Wargaming

Painting Wargame Armies, Jay Hadley, master painter, examines the qualities of various paints. I-1
Designing Wargame Scenarios, Rod Burr offers an introduction to design topics, then delves into WWII. I-1
Advice to Wargamers, Phil Barker argues against placing too restrictive conditional orders on troops. I-1
Campaigning Without Maps, Steve Haller provides a rules system. I-1
Table Top Talk The "seven M's." (in Rules) I-2
Painting Wargame Armies: Metal and Wood, Jay Hadley, master painter, talks about metal and wood in part II. I-2
Figure Costs: Out of Line?, Dick Bryant prepares a mathematical model for charting the cost of miniature figures. I-2
Interview: Steve Carpenter, Gloria Miceli goes one-on-one with the man from Minifigs. I-3
Painting Wargame Armies: Instant Armies, Jay Hadley, master painter, details production line methods in part III. I-3
Haunted Acres, Phil Barker offers tips on visiting battlefields. I-4
Interview: Glenn Kidd, Gloria Miceli goes one-on-one with the man from Ral Partha. I-4
Painting Horses and Terraining Bases, Jay Hadley, master painter, details the finer points. I-4
Fog of War Returns, Bill Protz offers unpredictable command and movement ideas. I-4
Grand Tactical Orders -- An Unnecessary Evil?, Ned Zuparko wants to do away with wargame orders. I-4
The Simultaneous Fire Myth, Larry Brom examines influences of fire combat. I-5
With Tape and Dice Through Darkest America, Phil Barker recounts his US trip. I-5
Jack Scruby, Bob Beattie profiles the father of modern wargaming. I-5
Duke Seifried, Gloria Micelli profiles a gaming legend. I-6
Phased Movement, Walter Simon offers an optimum blend of alternate and simultaneous movement systems. I-6
Creating Random Terrain, William Silvester provides a card system for spur-of-the-moment terrain for the tabletop. I-6

FEATURE ARTICLES: PERIOD SPECIFIC

General

Montenegro 1715-1915, Dave Sweet profiles the evolution of a little-known army. I-6

Ancients

Drill Manual, Phil Barker answers questions about his ancients rules. I-1
Drill Manual, Phil Barker answers more questions about his ancients rules. I-2
Irish Bog or Poros' Terrain?, Phil Barker reports on a WRG tabletop battle between a Barbarian Conspiracy (Saxons, Picts, and Irish) vs. Indians. I-2
Ancients Tournament at Origins, Dick Bryant brings the finale of the tournament alive with an after action game report. I-3
Drill Manual: Part III, Phil Barkers answers questions about WRG 6th edition ancients rules. I-4
The 55th Army, R.A. Hess pokes fun at WRG Ancients with a "Late Drunkards" Army List. I-5
The Problem of the Pike Phalanx
Phil Barker tackles historical interpretation in the use of pikes. I-6
The Thousand Year War
Brian Harper questions the need for WRG Ancients Rules 6th edition when 5th works fine. I-6

Renaissance

Introduction to Renaissance Wargaming, Robert Mosca delineates figures and scale at the company level, plus adds a section on flags. I-4
Northern Maneuvers, Peter Hollinger and Eric Ritchie cover a Renaissance tournament from Montreal. I-4

Seven Years War

Uniforms of the Swedish Army: 1757-1762, Dan Schorr presents a detailed uniform guide to an overlooked period. I-1
Uniforms of the Russian Artillery: 1757-1762, Ed Phillips presents a uniform guide. I-2
Seven Years War Artillery Carriage Colors, Dan Schorr offers a chart of 11 armies' colors. I-2
Swedish Army 1757-1762, Dan Schorr profiles the army in the Seven Years War. I-3
Naval Wargaming 1756-1762, Byron Angel examines the ins and outs of naval warfare during the Seven Years War. I-3
Swedish Cavalry Standards 1757-1762, Dan Schorr profiles the army in the Seven Years War. I-4
Swedish Infantry Standards 1757-1762, Dan Schorr profiles the army standards in the Seven Years War. I-5

American Revolution

Tactics of the American Revolution, William S. Brown tackles tactics. I-5
Forage Party American Revolution Bibliography. I-6

Napoleonic

Leipzig, Bruce Weeks recreates the 1813 battle on the tabletop. Includes order of battle and maps. I-1
The Army of the Conde, Rob Mosca chronicles the royalist force from 1792-1801. Includes uniform guide (chart) and illustrated standards guide. I-2
CLS Napoleonic Army Organization Revisited, Louis Bloom presents part I: Britain, Prussia and Russia. I-2
The Maxi-Battle, Bruce Weeks offers tips on refighting large Napoleonic battles, and presents Bavaria 1809. I-2
CLS Napoleonic Army Organization Revisited, Louis Bloom presents part II: France, Austria, and warfare of the "Big 5." I-3
The Maxi-Battle, Bruce Weeks offers part II, covering grand tactical plans with more of 1809. I-3
Russian Militia 1812,, Curt Johnson profiles the system. Includes standards. I-3
Best of Fleets, Worst of Fleets, Walter Williams replays a Napoleonic naval engagement on the tabletop. I-4
Sailing Era Naval Rules, Byron Angel reviews Napoleonic naval tabletop rules. I-4
Battle of Novi, Mark Makin examines the 15 August 1799 battle and offers a scenario tabletop replay. I-5
Yes, But is it Playable?, Ned Zuparko discusses design aspects for Napoleonic rules. I-5
Battle of Maida, Jim Arnold examines the 1806 battle with a historical account and tabletop scenario. I-6

American Civil War

American Civil War Miniature Rules, Bill Sessions reviews a number of ACW tabletop rules. I-6
Little Round Top, James Kocur serves up an ACW scenario. I-6

19th Century Colonial

How to Raise Colonial Armies, Doug Johnson explains how to get started. I-1
Forage Party Sudanese War Info. I-1
Zulu Firepower, Ian Knight discusses the availability and use of rifles by the Zulus. I-1
Organization of the Zulu Army, Ian Knight discusses the recruitment, recruitment, and organization of the army. I-2
How to Set Up Colonial Wargames, Doug Johnson explains scenario possibilities. I-2
Weapons and Uniforms of the Zulu Army, Ian Knight continues his series n the Zulu army. I-3
Forage Party Ashanti Wars Guide. I-3
Forage Party French West Africa. I-4
Native Levies, Ian Knight continues his series on the 1879 Zulu War. I-4
How to Set Up Colonial Campaigns, Doug Johnson provides a number of ideas to think about. I-4
Imperial Infantry Uniforms, Ian Knight continues his series on the 1879 Zulu War. I-5
Incident at the Peshwar Mosque, Tom Desmond goes Colonial. I-5
Zulu War Roundup, Ian Knight wraps up his series on the 1879 Zulu War. I-6

World War I

From the Foretop Jutland. I-2

World War II

Designing Wargame Scenarios, Rod Burr offers more WWII action. I-2
Arming for 1944 Campaign, B. McCue tackles the set up for a WWII campaign. I-3
Choosing the Basis for a WWII Campaign, Rod Burr tackles the set up for a WWII campaign. I-4
Review of WWII and Modern Rules, Rod Burr reviews a pair of rules sets. I-5

Modern

Review of WWII and Modern Rules, Rod Burr reviews a pair of rules sets. I-5

dragon6 Supporting Member of TMP03 May 2018 4:44 a.m. PST

Did I miss volume II?

Russ Lockwood04 May 2018 12:08 p.m. PST

No. It's up. One second…

Doh! I forgot to crosspost here from the Magazines board.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.