Help support TMP

"Side by Side part 2" Topic

2 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

295 hits since 28 Apr 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

nevinsrip Sponsoring Member of TMP28 Apr 2018 9:29 a.m. PST

I was looking through Katcher's "Armies Of The American Wars 1755-1815" today, attempting to locate information on a Provincial F&I War unit, when I came across this on PAGE 35.
Katcher does not disclose who the writer of this is, but simply refers to him as a surgeon, writing home. He is describing his time in the American theater:
"The Art of War is much changed and improved here. I suppose by the end of the summer it will hae gone a total Revolution. We are now literally an army of Round Heads.
Our hair is about an inch long. The flaps of our hats which are wore slouch, about two incjes and a half broad.
Our coats are docked rather shorter than the Highlanders… The Highlanders have put on breeches and Lord Howes Filabaegs. Some from an affectionto their Girgets still wear them. Swords and Sashesare degraded and many have taken up with the Hatchet and wear Tomahawks.
Further down Katcher continues with another unaccredited Officer writing home:
"You would laugh to see the droll figure we all cut. Regulars and Provincials are ordered to cut off the brims of their hats. The Regulars as well as Provincials have left off their proper Regimentals, that is, they have cut their coats so as to scarcely reach their waist. You would not distinguish us from a common plough man".
Granted that they are discussing this during the F&I War and not the AWI. However, if British troops had discovered that comfort and necessity far outweighed written regulations 20 years earlier, it would stand to reason that this instinct carried over into the AWI.
Here's the quote I was referencing from Washington concerning Hunting Shirts. Even GW himself knew that the British soldiers feared the Hunting Shirts
Washington would later write in a General Order dated July 24, 1776, "No dress can be cheaper, nor more convenient, as the wearer may be cool in the warm weather and warm in cool weather by putting on under-cloathes which will not change the outward dress, Winter or Summer besides which it is a dress justly supposed to carry no small terror to the enemy, who think every such person (so dressed) is a complete marksman."

Men in the field adapt. And the longer they are in the field, they understand what is really important and what is not.
HG, I'm not doubting your sincerity in thinking that soldiers followed the rules, therefore they should be wearing the prescribed accouterments, while attempting to stay alive during a raging battle.
Practical experience tells me otherwise.
You can portray you figures any way that you choose. I'm sure that they look great your way. Mine are my way.
I designed my figures to be clad in late "War in the South" campaign uniforms. Not completely ragged, like Eureka's great figures, but battle worn. No frills.
In my British Army, the Officers were smart enough not to advertise, when going into an engagement where Marksmen were going to be present.

historygamer28 Apr 2018 12:24 p.m. PST

You are completely misrepresenting my position.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.