Help support TMP

"ebay package arrives, then stolen - who loses?" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Shipping and Customs Message Board

Action Log

02 Apr 2018 10:44 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "ebay package arrives, then stolen - who losses?" to "ebay package arrives, then stolen - who loses?"

Areas of Interest

General

1,157 hits since 2 Apr 2018
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Ferreo Cuore02 Apr 2018 6:43 a.m. PST

Was chatting with friend – he sold game, sent via priority package for an eBay sale and it had tracking, and it was said to be delivered, but buyer claims "no package".

we assume it was stolen by someone.

So what happens?

This makes me wonder if buyer doesn't ask for insurance for eBay purchase, and it is lost in mail, who losses there? I would think buyer?

interesting problem.

tinned fruit Supporting Member of TMP02 Apr 2018 6:56 a.m. PST

Always, always send it signed for…

stecal02 Apr 2018 7:19 a.m. PST

What about ebay buyer protection?

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP02 Apr 2018 7:25 a.m. PST

PM has $50 USD of insurance, but I have been burned by buyers. I called the postage office for his zip code and the post man said he say someone in the house take the package in. E-bay/Paypal will allow refund the buyer even with tracking.

Dynaman878902 Apr 2018 7:54 a.m. PST

Currently Ebay is VERY generous toward claims by buyers. My wife sells a good bit and insures every last one for full value.

VCarter Supporting Member of TMP02 Apr 2018 8:03 a.m. PST

I'm fully on board if the buyer did not get the good, he should get a refund.

But, what happens if you send thru USPS with insurance and they say it was delivered and then a porch pirate get to it before the buyer. Are you the seller just out of luck?

whitphoto Supporting Member of TMP02 Apr 2018 8:36 a.m. PST

I'm fully on board if the buyer did not get the good, he should get a refund.

But, what happens if you send thru USPS with insurance and they say it was delivered and then a porch pirate get to it before the buyer. Are you the seller just out of luck?

As the seller I did my job, I got it to you. USPS also did their job, they got it to you. Seems to me the person who stole it is at fault…

tinned fruit Supporting Member of TMP02 Apr 2018 8:58 a.m. PST

Can't understand why any seller would use a delivery service that left something on the doorstep or porch…Always, always send it signed for.

Personal logo StoneMtnMinis Supporting Member of TMP02 Apr 2018 9:59 a.m. PST

Buyer should probably move to a lower crime area.

And buyers will scream with the extra shipping cost and inconvenience if you require signatures.

You pays your dollar and you takes your chance.

Hlaven Supporting Member of TMP02 Apr 2018 11:12 a.m. PST

I agree with Stone Mtn Minis

rmcaras Supporting Member of TMP02 Apr 2018 11:46 a.m. PST

well I just sent some painted figures, bought $2,000 USD of insurance [replacement value].

USPS said for that amount it would HAVE to be signed for. They said anything with insurance over $500 USD had to be signed for.

I alerted the recipient, and went from there.

Ferreo Cuore02 Apr 2018 1:25 p.m. PST

yes, I am wondering if eBay or paypal protect items at all.

Even postal insurance has to end at delivery.

if you require signing, does US Mail require you to pick up at post office?

This is all too complext since 9-11 ruined shipping by ships.

Personal logo optional field Supporting Member of TMP02 Apr 2018 2:59 p.m. PST

Can't understand why any seller would use a delivery service that left something on the doorstep or porch…Always, always send it signed for.

5 years ago, I left instructions with my local PO to never leave packages outside. They said they could just leave a missed delivery slip in the mailbox and I could pick it up at the PO the next day. In the 2 years I lived at that location, the PO never followed up on their end of the deal. I kept visiting the PO and asking them to just leave a missed delivery slip and they would dutifully agree, but they never actually did it.

Buyer should probably move to a lower crime area.

And buyers will scream with the extra shipping cost and inconvenience if you require signatures.

You pays your dollar and you takes your chance.

My wife and I are teachers (ironically enough we live in STONE MOUNTAIN, Georgia). There is probably no such low crime location that we can afford within 100 miles of where we live on our combined wages.

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP02 Apr 2018 3:20 p.m. PST

I do a fair amount of shipping. Except for Post Office screw ups, I have never had an issue with a customer not recieving product. On especially valuable lots, I do ask if someone is home during the day to sign for an insured package.

Earl of the North02 Apr 2018 3:53 p.m. PST

I've had parcels marked as delivered and signed for, that never arrived…..either delivered to the wrong address or never really delivered at all. Strangely, the item usually suddenly reappears and is delivered properly in most cases if you complain enough.

roving bandit02 Apr 2018 10:27 p.m. PST

I recently signed up for USPS "Informed Delivery". Each morning USPS takes a picture of each piece of mail that will be left at my address that day. I know 100% what to expect that afternoon and the mail carrier has picture proof of what he has left me. Anything not matching up we at least have a trail from shipper to me that can be followed.

Prince Rupert of the Rhine02 Apr 2018 11:34 p.m. PST

Harsh as it may seem is eBay will side with the buyer as a seller you have to get the product to the buyer its not up to the buyer to take out insurance if they don't get the product as far as eBay is concerned you failed to carry out your part of the deal.

When I've sold stuff on eBay I've always sent it signed for and made that is clear in my listings upfront. It protects me as the seller from cheats trying to claim they haven't received the item to get a refund and gives my proof if the Royal Mail screws up and I need to claim compensation.

bsrlee03 Apr 2018 5:13 a.m. PST

As a buyer I ALWAYS ask the shipper to get insurance for the parcel, and that I am happy to pay for it. Usually not required but I have just had 2 parcels go 'missing' in transit – not delivered – and the shipper is now pursuing USPS.

I've had worse problems with UPS and 'missing' parcels, they promise that their loss investigation people will get in touch but they never do, fake signatures etc.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.