Help support TMP

"Renovated Rooms at the Lancaster Host" Topic

19 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

1,061 hits since 16 Mar 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP16 Mar 2018 1:54 a.m. PST

For the HMGS East conventions held in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, I have been staying across the street from the Lancaster Host at the Continental for the past several years.  The rooms at the Host had gotten progressively worse, and the Continental provides a really  nice breakfast.  The Continental has closed for renovations for Cold Wars and Historicon, so I booked a room at the Host this year.  

As may know, the Host is under new ownership (Windham) and is undergoing massive renovations.  Despite the Host being overbooked, I had the good fortune of being assigned one of the newly renovated rooms.  I do a LOT of travel for work, staying at hotels of different brands and levels.  The newly renovated rooms at the Host are as nice as any I have stayed at in the past couple of years. Everything is clean and new.  The fixtures, heat, etc. all work.  In particular, the new showers are very nice -- and there seems to be no issues with hot water. The Internet is solid.  (Since I had to do three hours of work from my hotel room, this was important to me.)  The staff was friendly and helpful.  

Several people commented that the rooms seem to be very large and wondered if they had combined three rooms into two during the renovations. I don't think that's true. I just think they are better lit and cleaner and so appear larger. If you are putting four adults in this room, there is plenty of space for everyone's luggage, a rollaway bed, and perhaps even some kids on the floor in sleeping bags.

In summary, I think the somewhat elevated room rates promised after the renovations are reasonable given the new quality of the rooms.

picture

picture

picture

picture

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP16 Mar 2018 3:17 a.m. PST

… And the rooms have a refrigerator. They could use a few more electrical outlets, but that is common to a lot of hotel rooms. I always travel with a small power strip / extension cords.

TheKing30 Supporting Member of TMP16 Mar 2018 3:26 a.m. PST

Wow! Looks really nice. Just curious – how does the Continental Inn look? Anything torn down?

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP16 Mar 2018 4:28 a.m. PST

From the street you can see dumpsters and signs of work, but you can't really tell what they're doing or how far along they are. I know that they cancelled my reservation for Historicon time as well, so they don't plan to be open until after July for sure.

Buck

Puddinhead Johnson16 Mar 2018 4:57 a.m. PST

That's nice to see

Joerg Bender Supporting Member of TMP16 Mar 2018 5:19 a.m. PST

Thanks for the update!
For Historicon we will stay at the TRU right next to the Host. But it looks like the Host might be an option for Fall-In!

TheKing30 Supporting Member of TMP16 Mar 2018 5:24 a.m. PST

@Surdu25 – Thanks for the updates. For those of us who cannot go – it's much appreciated.

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP16 Mar 2018 5:44 a.m. PST

Rooms and bathrooms look good.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP16 Mar 2018 5:49 a.m. PST

That's a nice looking room.

Al Swearengen16 Mar 2018 6:20 a.m. PST

The continued lack of electrical outlets in this day and age is pretty disappointing.

rmcaras Supporting Member of TMP16 Mar 2018 10:15 a.m. PST

And see other threads on the state of rooms. Clearly there is a wide variance. We have no phone, no clock, no bedspreads (+24 hours), no closet hangers. No internet (drops if connects at all).

No wall outlets on bed wall. One spare plug opening on opposite wall.

No working tv remote….

Burn holes in sheets…..

And so it goes…some winners and some losers.

holien16 Mar 2018 10:59 a.m. PST

Gents thanks for the updates I am off site for HCon but if I am lucky enough to get over for fallin I will consider being at the Host, looks like they are nearly there…

Double G Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Mar 2018 10:49 a.m. PST

"We have no phone, no clock, no bedspreads…………"

Not a single luxury, like Robinson Crusoe, it's primitive as can be.

So Join us here each convention my friend, you're sure to get a smile, from 2,000 convention attendees, Here in Lancaster PA…………..

Double G Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Mar 2018 12:24 p.m. PST

"Burn holes in sheets….."

That's on (in) you for trying that new Mongolian BBQ joint down the road………….

rmcaras Supporting Member of TMP17 Mar 2018 12:54 p.m. PST

Ok, whatever GG.

It's your world, we're just passing through.

I'll file it under "What Do You Get for $ 418.00".

Everyone has different standards.

holien17 Mar 2018 2:03 p.m. PST

If they are charging a decent rate then it is not unacceptable to expect decent service.

I am grateful for these insights. It does seem they are not quite there, but certainly on the way.

If it were me I would certainly discuss with the Host management for a gesture of goodwill if things are not hitting the rate you are paying.

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Mar 2018 3:05 p.m. PST

I think the rooms at the Host are definitely on the upswing. Perfect? No. Getting better? Yes. In the current state of renovations, there does appear to be variance in quality, but I would expect this to continue to improve over the next couple of conventions. The previous owners seem to have really let the place go to seed, so we shouldn't expect magically instantaneous improvement.

KPinder21 Mar 2018 4:36 p.m. PST

I think you got a new shower, Buck, but the old sink and counter. I visited a room and all the towels were on shelves under the sink. His room lacked clock, phone and fridge.

One wag observed the bathroom set up is much like the old Congress/Passport. If you open the bathroom door, you close the closet.

Tumbleweed Supporting Member of TMP21 Mar 2018 5:43 p.m. PST

I can accept a physically deteriorated room because the place is worn and out of date. But burn-holes in the sheets is something they should have control over and there is no excuse for it.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.