Help support TMP

"Cool Facts We Never Knew About Saving Private Ryan" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Media Message Board

762 hits since 10 Mar 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP10 Mar 2018 3:02 p.m. PST

"Saving Private Ryan is a 1998 film set during the Invasion of Normandy in June 1944. It was directed by Steven Spielberg and stars Tom Hanks and Matt Damon. It won 5 academy awards and a Golden Globe Award for best motion picture. It has been praised for the realistic way in which it filmed the battle scenes. The film magazine Empire described the sequence showing the landing of U.S. forces at Omaha Beach as the ‘best battle scene of all time.' The scene was named Number One on TV Guide's '50 Greatest Movie Moments.'

Omaha Beach was the name given to one of two positions where U.S forces landed in Normandy on D-Day, 6 June 1944. The other was Utah Beach.
The action in the scene is indeed very close to actual historical events. As shown in the film, many soldiers suffered from sea sickness. Many were shot even before they could reach the shore. Once ashore it was difficult to join up with other units on account of the heavy enemy fire. German machine guns in fortified positions shot at them, and they were continually shelled by artillery.

Spielberg meant to honour those who fought, and so he did not want the battle to look romantic as many World War II war films before had done. He wanted to show the real suffering and intense emotion of the soldiers…."
Main page

link

Amicalement
Armand

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP10 Mar 2018 3:20 p.m. PST

Few comments.

19 Barrels of Blood. My brother-in-law took my father to see the movie. My father, by that point in his life, had health issues to include Parkinson's. He was riveted however by the movie, especially the landings. My father landed on Omaha on D-day with one of the assault units. His comment to my brother-in-law was the water wasnt red enough. If you remember it was hard to be any more red. My dad lost a good number from his unit that morning.

1 Bonus. Tom Hanks was not awarded the best actor Oscar for the movie, he was only nominated. Roberto Benigni won that year for Life is Beautiful

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP10 Mar 2018 4:00 p.m. PST

Dale Dye's fingerprint is sadly to obvious making the vocabular and other things very Vietnam.

zoneofcontrol11 Mar 2018 1:36 p.m. PST

One additional Cool Fact to add to the list:
"Holy crap, it has been 20 years since SPR was released !!!"

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP11 Mar 2018 3:08 p.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Dn Jackson11 Mar 2018 5:21 p.m. PST

"The entire cast had to go through a grueling week-long boot camp, which they struggled to cope with as it was made as realistic as possible."

wow. A whole week.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.