Help support TMP

"Add Die or reroll Which is More of an Advantage?" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Game Design Message Board

397 hits since 8 Mar 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

SpuriousMilius08 Mar 2018 8:50 a.m. PST

Many skirmish level wargame rules add 1 or more D6 or D10 to a figure's rolls for shooting or melee to represent skill level or tactical circumstances; others confer 1 or more rerolls to do this. Is either method more of a boost to a successful result than the other?
I must have hit the submit button before I completed my question.

USAFpilot08 Mar 2018 9:09 a.m. PST

For mathematical problems, the first step is to clearly define the question before seeking a solution. Can you give a little more detail, or an example?

advocate08 Mar 2018 9:37 a.m. PST

If there is no difference with respect to the number of successes, then no. With re-rolls you roll in succession until you get a success or run out of dice. With additional dice you roll them altogether and check to see if at least one succeeds.
If you are looking for anything but a one, re-rolls might be better. In general rolling a together is probably faster.

Lupulus08 Mar 2018 9:51 a.m. PST

If the result is just success/failure, there's no difference.
If you can re-roll a success into a better success then +1 is better (because there is no risk a success becomes a failure)

wakenney08 Mar 2018 10:16 a.m. PST

There is a difference if the test counts the number of successes. By simply rerolling one die, you can never succeed more times than the base amount of dice. Rerolling 1 out of 5d6 will still only allow for 5 maximum successes. Adding a die adjusts that maximum number, making 5d6 to 6d6.

Now, for total probabilities…

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP08 Mar 2018 10:17 a.m. PST

I'm with USAFpilot. If each die is either a successful accomplishment or not, and the whole thing is either one success or a failure, than Lupulus is correct, but we don't know that.

If I need a cumulative score, that's quite a different matter. An added die makes things possible which could not be done if I had a re-roll instead.

Spurius, can you help us out here?

Dynaman878908 Mar 2018 10:23 a.m. PST

The answer is yes and yes and it depends entirely on the specifics. Sometimes extra dice are better and other times rerolls are better.

wakenney08 Mar 2018 10:47 a.m. PST

Except in the edge case where you need to get a certain number of successes and adding the die makes it possible, say you need to roll 5 6s but you are only rolling 5d6, there is no real difference.

If you are rolling 6d6 and just trying to get one 6, then unmodified you have a 0.66 chance of success. With adding a die or rerolling you have a 0.72 chance of rolling at least one 6.

In a situation where the number of 6s matter, on average you are going to roll one 6 out of your 6d6. With adding a die, 7d6, or rerolling one you end up with 1.16 6s on average.

Thomas Thomas Supporting Member of TMP16 Mar 2018 9:50 a.m. PST

Which method you use depends on what your trying to simulate.

Games often add an extra die for "stationary fire". This makes little sense as a tank for instance can blaze away while moving but with little chance to hit. So its not ROF that's effected its accuracy. So it would be better to re-roll than increase die numbers (even better to just give an accuracy modifier to the roll rather than a clumsy re-roll. Modifiers move at the speed of thought not so dice rolling).

Thomas J. Thomas
Fame and Glory Games

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.