Help support TMP

"Essex Family in Henry VIII Tudor England?" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Renaissance Discussion Message Board

479 hits since 8 Mar 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Terry3708 Mar 2018 7:34 a.m. PST

Does anyone have any information about the involvement of the Essex family (Devereux) during the time of Henry VIII? I ask because I am working on a Henry VIII Tudor Army and want to add a contingent from the Essex family, but haven't been able to find if any of them served. I am also guessing that any uniformity worn would be in orange?

Thanks,

Terry

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP08 Mar 2018 8:34 a.m. PST

Terry – Henry VIII was very picky about the clothing of soldiers who fought in his name and he didn't like his commanders outfitting men as their own private armies. He issued instructions on a number of campaigns for them to be dressed with Tudor Green & White and not in liveries.

Having said that, there isn't much evidence that he was consistently obeyed and relatively little has survived describing Henry's English troops' clothing colours on campaign.

mollinary08 Mar 2018 9:48 a.m. PST

Hi Terry,

A quick search finds Walter Devereux, 9th Baron Ferrars, 1488-1558, who seems to have had quite an active military career. His successors go on to be Earls of Essex, he rises to be Viscount Hereford in 1551. Hope this helps.

Terry3708 Mar 2018 7:54 p.m. PST

Thank you gentlemen. Yes, I had read that pretty much, so it seems that the title of Earl of Essex came after Henry VIII, so my contingent will be that of William Devereux. I am also guessing that orange was still the family color at that time as well????

Thanks again,

Terry

Fatuus Natural09 Mar 2018 3:50 a.m. PST

Thank you gentlemen. Yes, I had read that pretty much, so it seems that the title of Earl of Essex came after Henry VIII, so my contingent will be that of William Devereux. I am also guessing that orange was still the family color at that time as well????

You meant Walter? I don't think there was a William Deveureux, not of any prominence, anyway. In Henry VIII's time any Devereux contingent would have been lead by Walter, who succeeded his father Robert as lord Ferrers of Chartley in 1501 and became viscount Hereford in 1550 and died in 1558. He fought at Flodden and accompanied Henry VIII at the Cloth of Gold and on the 1544 campaign.

I don't know what livery colours the Devereux used at that time, but Walter's grandson of the same name, first Earl of Essex, certainly used orange. The large contingent he brought to Tilbury in 1588 were arrayed in white and tangerine and when in 1591 he joined Henri IV at Compiegne he was accompanied by 6 pages dressed in orange velvet.

Richard McCoy, 'The Rites of Knighthood: The Literature and Politics of Elizabethan Chivalry' (1989), pp. 78, 81.

Fatuus Natural09 Mar 2018 5:37 a.m. PST

Lord Howard de Walden (ed.),'Banners, standards and badges from a Tudor manuscript in the College of Arms' (1904), p. 247, has a 16C sketch of the standard of 'the lord Ferrys knyghte of the garter'. It is parted horizontally white and red with a white greyhound and sprinkled with golden horseshoes and blue 'frenshe wyfes' hoods bounden'.

The introduction dates the document to the 1530s, so it must be the standard of Walter Devereux, lord Ferrers.

There is nothing orange or tangerine on the standard, so it may be that in the early 16C his livery colours were white and red and his badge a blue Frenchwife's hood.

Terry3709 Mar 2018 8:03 a.m. PST

Excellent, just excellent! More wonderful information. My sincere thanks gentlemen!!!

Terry

Sandinista14 Mar 2018 8:49 p.m. PST

In the Standards, Badges & Livery Colours of the Wars of the Roses booklet by McGill & Jones, they list Walter Devereux of Weobley, the 7th Baron Ferrers who died at Bosworth. They mention his livery as red & white based upon his standard: "Field: Argent over gules a bordure/fringe argent. Badges: A greyhound running argent, langued gules, crowned about the neck Or. French wives hoods azure. Horseshoes Or. Motto: Loyalle Svys. He also used the French wives hoods argent as a separate badge. His torse was argent and sable so this may indicate another set of livery colours".

I recommend buying this book it is wonderful value link

Cheers
Ian

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.