Help support TMP

"First Sudan Battle" Topic

19 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the Wargaming in the United Kingdom Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Victorian Colonial Board Message Board

1,364 hits since 6 Mar 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

EricThe Shed06 Mar 2018 2:54 a.m. PST

Hi Folks

Since October I have been steadily painting my forces for my Sudan games – 700+ figures took part in an epic Black Powder game in the Shed last night.

Full AAR on the blog

link

picture

picture

picture

picture

dwight shrute06 Mar 2018 4:36 a.m. PST

awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PzGeneral06 Mar 2018 4:36 a.m. PST

Very nice report. My Sudan collection is about half the size of your. Black Powder is the preferred rules for playing with it…and we always have a good time.. thumbs up

jurgenation Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 5:17 a.m. PST

impressive thanx for sharing…

Personal logo aegiscg47 Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 6:28 a.m. PST

Good looking game.

twicethecaffeine06 Mar 2018 8:09 a.m. PST

Looks great and sounds like it was fun all round.
Thanks for the inspiration.

VCarter Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 8:19 a.m. PST

A game with that many figures and memorable events completed in 2 hours! Sound like great fun.

EricThe Shed06 Mar 2018 9:37 a.m. PST

Thank you Gentlemen – the rules play fast especially if everybody has the same interpretations. When we debate we usually use common sense.

For example when the British Camels were charged we elected that they could not counter charge given they were never really in control of their mounts

WarWizard06 Mar 2018 12:06 p.m. PST

That looks smashing!

Timmo uk06 Mar 2018 1:49 p.m. PST

It looks wonderful but I never understand this type of game where the Mahdists are pre-set-from the off to obligingly charge lines of imperial troops, in the open, head on.

The reality was that in the open the Imperial troops pretty much had to fight in squares to avoid being outflanked and annihilated.

47Ronin06 Mar 2018 2:02 p.m. PST

Very impressive.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

EricThe Shed06 Mar 2018 2:03 p.m. PST

Hi Timmo

As I said in the intro on my blog this was a purely ficticious engagement game to see if the sides were evenly matched. Now that we know they are in the circumstances played I can tailor future games that will give both sides an equal chance of victory.

We do play our fair share of historic reenactments which more often or not deliver a similar result to real history (especially Colonial) but to maintain my gamers enthusiasm you have to give both sides a chance.

The next battle will see a brigade square in action BUT the Mahdists will have potentially the terrain or sufficient forces on their side to potentially break the square

Old Peculiar06 Mar 2018 2:27 p.m. PST

Kitchener would not agree Timmo!

Old Peculiar06 Mar 2018 2:35 p.m. PST

That seemed to work well. I wonder if using terrain to produce more dead gound would make the actions even closer. I was reading Churchill's River War recently and the terrain was very effective at concealing movement and shielding from small arms fire.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP07 Mar 2018 8:17 a.m. PST

Great AAR – thanks for posting

Timmo uk07 Mar 2018 12:15 p.m. PST

Old P.

I wouldn't agree with myself either in relation to the fire power of the British army when armed with the Lee Metford and Maxim! Even then at Omdurman they essentially fought in a square with the rear face being the gunboats on the Nile.

I was just wondering where the 'game' is. What are the decisions that the Mahdist player can make?

GreenLeader Inactive Member09 Mar 2018 11:12 a.m. PST

Timmo

One could equally as, in *most* Colonial games, what decisions does the British player get to make?

Basha Felika09 Mar 2018 1:04 p.m. PST

That's why the earlier 1883-85 battles lend themselves better to replaying on the table, especially if the British/Egyptians are given objectives and a deadline so they cannot just stand there and wait for the onslaught.

takeda33306 Apr 2018 10:34 p.m. PST

While we might not like everything about Patrols/Sudan it does give a great sense of drama and uncertainty. Also to a lesser extent Men who would be King playing the solo variant gives a good game.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.