Help support TMP

"Deepcut Dilemma " Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the Getting Started with WWII Message Board

Back to the 20mm WWII Message Board

1,144 hits since 5 Mar 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

This Ones For The Sarge05 Mar 2018 1:16 p.m. PST

Hi

Want to invest in a gaming mat (mousepad material preferably) for my 20mm miniatures, Normandy scenarios mostly.

These Deepcut Studios designs all look good online but don't want to make an expensive mistake:

Grass
Meadow
Muddy Field

Any reviews, suggestions etc welcome!

Cheers

Sarge

stewart46A05 Mar 2018 2:54 p.m. PST

I would recommend Tinywargames their mats are excellent.
I have 14 all different colours and sizes.
If you are in the U.K. catch up with them at a show other wise their website
Www.tinywargames.co.uk

JeffGrein Supporting Member of TMP05 Mar 2018 4:26 p.m. PST

Have used deep cut twice now and no regrets. Great communication and a great product. I have two other friends that feel the same way. Not sure on your question or review on the three mats you are looking at though.

Bunkermeister Supporting Member of TMP05 Mar 2018 5:11 p.m. PST

Deep Cut Studio sent me samples a couple times and I reviewed them. I like them.

link

link

picture

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
https://bunkermeister.blogspot.com

Black Hat Miniatures06 Mar 2018 2:09 a.m. PST

I have 3 of their plains mats in different grid sizes, a cobblestone and a space mat. All are excellent, well printed and work well. I preferred the plains printing as it has a bit of detail but isn't too overwhelming. I use them for 15mm, 28mm and 54mm games

Mike

Lost Wolf08 Mar 2018 2:47 p.m. PST

My dilemma is the cost of getting them to the US

Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP08 Mar 2018 3:22 p.m. PST

I have two other friends that feel the same way.
I'm one of the friends, and I do feel the same way. :-)

I have two cloth mats, and I love them. Two of my dogfight-gamer friends liked mine so much, we placed a group order for a bunch more, so now we have about a half dozen of these things floating around the area.

The cloth Deep Cut uses is a heavy synthetic fabric, which is really durable, non-absorbant, highly stain resistant, extremely wrinkle-resistant, smooth and snagless. It's heavy enough to hide minor table irregularities underneath, not quite heavy enough to hide big ones (like felt does), probably not flexible enough to drape over hills without making wrinles (but I honestly haven't tried). The material is supposed to be colorfast and launder-able, but I haven't had to try yet. My mats are HUGE (roughly 7'7" x 11'6") and very hard to store, so I roll them up around a flexible tube of PVC insulation, then bend them in half to store and transport them. No problems with wrinkles or creases yet, in 4 months of use.

In the stock sizes they offer (up to 6'x4' I think) they have other materials available (PVC and "mousepad mat"); I haven't seen any in person yet, so can't comment. In photos, one of the materials looks shiny (probably the PVC…?), which I would like for water and dislike for open countryside.

The background images are amazing, vibrant and bright and very clear. There is one downside: the background images can be so busy and bright and clear that they overwhelm the miniatures. One of our local dogfight gamers bought the Aerial Fields mat and discovered that his accurately painted 1/144 scale planes are very difficult to see in photos because the cammo works. grin

FWIW, the Deep Cut site says they can make adjustments to the image, so you can probably get them to fade or tone down an image if it's too "loud".

I placed two custom orders for very odd sizes with precisely specified hex grids; I found the process of working out all the details very easy. They were very communicative, sent me preview images of each design change, and didn't proceed with anything without explanation or approval. I was extremely happy with the process.

If I have any complaints, it's that Deep Cut Studio doesn't have a desert background image I want to use. I need the desert as seen from 5k-10k feet in the air; their stock images are all at "directly underfoot" resolution. <sigh> Someday I'll figure out how to acquire an aerial desert image I can upload, and then I'll have 3 Deep Cut mats.

My dilemma is the cost of getting them to the US
They charged me €15.00 EUR, about the same as shipping large items within the US. Shipping time was roughly a week.

- Ix

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.