Help support TMP

"Available rules for 28mm Napoleonics?" Topic

22 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Product Reviews Message Board

1,167 hits since 24 Feb 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

CptKremmen24 Feb 2018 4:32 a.m. PST

Guys,

I have been playing quite a bit of Sharp Practice with 28mm napoleonics, there are good parts to these rules but also some things I am not really happy with.

I am aware of the black powder type rules aimed at very large battles and whilst I actually like Hail Caesar and Pike and Shotte I am not really keen on black Powder nor is it aimed at armies of 50-100 figures either.

I realise this is a very contentious subject and everyone has their own opinions but could any of you recommend a set of rules I may be interested.

Around 100 figures a side for a good battle, not 10-20 and not 300+
I would like it to "feel" napoleonic but basically be quick simple and fun to play

Preferably not too complicated a command system.

Thanks Guys

Andy

MajorB24 Feb 2018 5:47 a.m. PST

What representational scale? 100 figures a side, but how many men does each figure represent?

daler240D Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member24 Feb 2018 6:28 a.m. PST

LaSalle is what I play at that scale. It doesn't bog down in too much command detail yet has a good period feel. You get to make squares etc

CptKremmen24 Feb 2018 6:34 a.m. PST

I don't really mind if it is 1:1 or 1:100

I guess somewhere around 1:20 to 1:50 may be most appropriate but i don't really mind

Will look at LaSalle

Ta

CptKremmen24 Feb 2018 7:02 a.m. PST

LaSalle looks interesting but it looks as though it is designed for 200-400 figures per side even in 28mm? Have i read that wrong.

Personal logo Whirlwind Supporting Member of TMP24 Feb 2018 7:11 a.m. PST

Neil Thomas' Napoleonic Wargaming

Horse, Foot & Guns or DBN or Polemos if you want something for bigger battles with a relatively small number of figures

JimSelzer Supporting Member of TMP24 Feb 2018 7:25 a.m. PST

wow you fret at 200-400 28mm figures per side I have had over 3000 25mm for years and played with 1200-1500 in an average game and have commanded 2000+ when we played really large games guess its just perspective

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP24 Feb 2018 7:31 a.m. PST

If you want combined arms forces, a 1 to 1 ratio still just gives you a skirmish line. If you want battles -- not skirmishes -- with a limited amount of figures, look at the rules mentioned by Whirlwind. Also look at Volley and Bayonet. Big Bloody Battles might be worth taking a look at, but I really don't know mch about them.

Personal logo jeffreyw3 Supporting Member of TMP24 Feb 2018 7:46 a.m. PST

I just picked up "Chosen Men" last week--it's not quite as "gamey" as SP2, but the figure counts are similar. You didn't specify what bothered you about SP.

daler240D Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member24 Feb 2018 8:02 a.m. PST

Lasalle is base not figure specific, so you can field whatever numbers you want, which i think is really the only way to play. I don't count figures and am not interested in games that do. 4 bases is typically a battalion. You can have typically -4-6 infantry units, 2 cav and 1 or 2 artillery units and it plays easily. I like the turn mechanic. The first phase of a turn is firing, then reacting and moving and morale. It makes for a different feel that I really like.

photocrinch Supporting Member of TMP24 Feb 2018 8:27 a.m. PST

I'll second whirlwind for DBN. Fantastic simple fast games, that for me retain much of the grand tactical feel for the Napoleonic period. A full force can be had with 50 figures or less, and a full army for 100 or less.

dbnwargaming.co.uk

Here are a few shots from some games I have run:

picture

picture

picture

Not a huge fan of Horse foot and Guns the few times I tried it. Havent tried Polemos.

David

Mick the Metalsmith Inactive Member24 Feb 2018 10:01 a.m. PST

Sword and the Flame might fit your bill, for large skirmishes.

Chosen men, imo, would be too small a system to handle 100 figures. Horrible distortion of column, line formation effects in the rules. It really is all about skirmishing, so like 95th by 2HW 20 figs plus per side is more like it.

M C MonkeyDew24 Feb 2018 11:02 a.m. PST

Speaking of 95th….

Muskets and Shakos has 20 figure battalions, and plays with about 100 – 200 figures a side.

Wrote them both so, well, I like both games quite a bit. 😁

Bob

Ed the Two Hour Wargames guy24 Feb 2018 12:37 p.m. PST

Are you talking about 100 figure per player or side, with multiple players?

MSU John24 Feb 2018 6:57 p.m. PST

LaSalle is your best bet. I think the numbers is pretty flexible, and it gives a good feel for the period.

Markconz25 Feb 2018 1:23 p.m. PST

DBN.

You need a lot of figures for Lasalle unless you're only putting one figure on each base.

CptKremmen26 Feb 2018 10:51 a.m. PST

Thanks for the help guys, not really sure i have found what i am looking for

I think i want sharp practice but better…

daler240D Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member26 Feb 2018 11:59 a.m. PST

Scum of the Earth.
Black Powder gaming for the rest at Wargame Vault

link

CptKremmen08 Mar 2018 8:54 a.m. PST

Has anyone tried over the hills from Caliver books?

Edwulf Inactive Member08 Mar 2018 4:25 p.m. PST

What do you mean by "very large" battles?

I think Black Powder peaks at about a Division per player. Though it works well on small actions with about 6 units aside too.

Are you looking more for skirmish games?

CptKremmen09 Mar 2018 2:50 p.m. PST

I am looking for about 75 – 100 figs per army.

"Big Skirmish".

adymac2650 Inactive Member16 Mar 2018 9:02 a.m. PST

The vast majority of feed back for Over the Hills is very good. we will be doing some walk through videos in the next coming weeks. One of the bonus things with Over the Hills is that it is very flexible in terms of unit size representation

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.