Help support TMP

"Mauritius campaign" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

557 hits since 11 Feb 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

noigrim11 Feb 2018 6:04 a.m. PST

I'm thinking on making a Mauritius minicampaign of four scenarios, however the last one, the conquest of the island itself, seems tooo biased towards the english with some 5000 redcoats against less than 1000 french. Perhaps I should end the campaign sooner? say at grand port? but then it wouldn't be a "Mauritius campaign".

Texas Jack11 Feb 2018 6:33 a.m. PST

You could give the British a time limit, either for the entire game or to reach a particular objective. The longer the British take, the less glorious their victory.

noigrim11 Feb 2018 8:09 a.m. PST

but it would ve victory nontheless :/

John Edmundson11 Feb 2018 5:43 p.m. PST

Sometimes that's just how it is. How many people revisit Raab scenarios despite the fact that the Austrians are outnumbered and much of their cavalry is Insurrectio? It's still interesting.

As Jack suggested, putting a challenging timeframe for the British to succeed can still make the event interesting for the players.

Cheers,
John

Cacadore s Inactive Member11 Feb 2018 6:06 p.m. PST

noigrim 11 Feb 2018 5:04 a.m. PST !
I'm thinking on making a Mauritius minicampaign of four scenarios, however the last one, the conquest of the island itself, seems tooo biased towards the english with some 5000 redcoats against less than 1000 french. Perhaps I should end the campaign sooner? say at grand port? but then it wouldn't be a "Mauritius campaign"

I love asymetrical games. Look at the historical result and then list three criteria for 'victory' points for each side. The British may have a time limit to defeat the French, or a casualty maximum for example.

Or simpler still, place three location markers in or behind the French lines and the British have to take all three within a set number of turns.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2018 9:42 p.m. PST

Wouldn't the goal of the French player in the campaign be to prevent the 5000:1000 imbalance?
If that imbalance is going to be there regardless of the outcome of the first three scenarios, then what's the point?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.