Help support TMP

"Move all Flea Market sessions to after dinner........" Topic

24 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

999 hits since 25 Jan 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Rangers Lead the Way25 Jan 2018 9:13 p.m. PST

Game all day in between games go to dealer hall at your leisure, eat dinner, go to flea market, socialize and take in an evening game. Night time flea market not such a bad idea.

GypsyComet25 Jan 2018 9:29 p.m. PST

One of the local cons does Midnight Madness fleas.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP26 Jan 2018 2:53 a.m. PST

"All"?
Certainly not.
I see no need to change the way things have always been done just to accommodate you. And only you.

pzivh43 Supporting Member of TMP26 Jan 2018 3:14 a.m. PST

Nope. Midnight madness is OK, but dealers need to quit carping and deal with flea market

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP26 Jan 2018 3:14 a.m. PST

Nope, I usually run a table at the flea market & I sell most before noon.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP26 Jan 2018 3:54 a.m. PST

At that point, I would stop attending.

No interest in confining the gaming or the dealers to evenings, I take it? Just the flea market. If GMs and dealers see the flea market as a threat, they might consider changing some of their own practices.

general btsherman26 Jan 2018 4:32 a.m. PST

Bad idea. Sorry

TodCreasey Supporting Member of TMP26 Jan 2018 5:11 a.m. PST

What about the day trippers? If you are 2-3 hours away that means hanging about til 9PM and getting home at midnight.

chuck05 Fezian26 Jan 2018 5:12 a.m. PST

Maybe having some deals in the dealer hall would help?

Dynaman878926 Jan 2018 7:07 a.m. PST

NO terrible idea.

But I have a counter proposal, make the dealer hall after dinner only instead. Matter of fact, any of these "flea market should" proposals (the real ones, not the joke flamebait this one is intended to be) should always be thought of as applying to the dealer hall instead and if it sounds like a lousy idea for the dealer hall than it is most likely a lousy idea for the flea market too.

Long Valley Gamer Supporting Member of TMP26 Jan 2018 7:18 a.m. PST

Agree,bad idea

Stepman326 Jan 2018 7:48 a.m. PST

I think people put to much emphasis on the flee market…Its not like its not the same people selling the same stuff show after show. Occasionally there are a few new gems that pop up but I've seen the same Tau Army for the last 5 shows, the same obscure strategy games being offered time and time again…If the time slots work for you great, if not, well then catch the next one…

TSD10126 Jan 2018 9:00 a.m. PST

but I've seen the same Tau Army for the last 5 shows, the same obscure strategy games being offered time and time again

None of this would have been a problem if HMGS enforced its own Flea Market rules and cracked down on the people selling 3 tables worth of shrink wrapped games for all sessions every convention, or the same people selling the same stuff for years on end.

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP26 Jan 2018 10:20 a.m. PST

I say Just get rid of the flea market and games. We Are at a HMGS NE Convention to do are duty and buy stuff in the Dealers hall only. .

But Really Most flea market money just goes right into the dealers hall. Late night is ok but won't work for everyday.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP26 Jan 2018 10:22 a.m. PST

"Its not like its not the same people selling the same stuff show after show."

Stepman, are you sure you're not discussing the dealers' hall?

Can't speak for the other flea marketeers, but my rule is "nine crates enter; two crates leave." Those two crates get one more chance. If no one offers money in two conventions, the stuff is pitched.

dapeters26 Jan 2018 12:47 p.m. PST

Well It's both.

But ditching the day Flea market serves no good

Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP26 Jan 2018 5:43 p.m. PST

I hate night time flea markets. Big NO, bad idea.

zoneofcontrol26 Jan 2018 6:07 p.m. PST

I think that the dealer hall should be open for one hour at a time starting on every even numbered hour. The flea market should be open for one hour at a time starting on every odd numbered hour. Historic games could start on every half-hour interval but would be strictly limited to 1 hour total including set-up, game play and tear-down. Non-Historic games would be limited to odd-numbered calendar days.

Otherwise, nobody should go.

Personal logo Flashman14 Supporting Member of TMP27 Jan 2018 4:01 a.m. PST

No

Dynaman878927 Jan 2018 11:49 a.m. PST

zoneofcontrol +1

rmcaras Supporting Member of TMP27 Jan 2018 3:41 p.m. PST

Zoneofcontrol, that certainly give the attendees a good aerobic workout as we rushed? (Waddled for some of us, like me) between locations!

Personal logo capncarp Supporting Member of TMP27 Jan 2018 11:20 p.m. PST

Zoneofcontrol, you've run a lot of "Paranoia" games, haven't you?

Sheckk28 Jan 2018 12:42 p.m. PST

Please no.

jpipes06 Feb 2018 12:13 p.m. PST

So far the evening flea markets have been less well attended, but whatever they are I will be there. I sure hope they don't move them all to late night as I think that would cause a lot of people to stop coming to the show entirely. Day trippers don't want to leave at midnight to drive home. As for people selling three tables of shrink stuff? I rarely see that anymore so not sure what that is referring to. The same Tau army at 5 shows? Again haven't seen that but even if it was, who cares? What does it matter to you if someone wants to keep trying to sell their army? It's none of your business especially if you don't want to buy it. If you do haggle with them or keep walking. Bitching about it here doesn't do any good. The vast majority of the flea market tends to be good deals on used/oop/hard to find stuff. I see very little cross over from stuff the dealers are selling and a huge amount of the money made in the flea market goes directly back to the dealer and to help allow guys to afford going to the show in the first place. To say nothing about the many thousands of dollars that goes to HMGS for the right to sell in the first place.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.