Help support TMP

"Grants for Battlegroup Torch..." Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

504 hits since 23 Jan 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

PiersBrand23 Jan 2018 5:34 p.m. PST

They're old, incorrect and a bit ropey… but the old Hagasawa Grant does have a whiff of nostalgia about it…

Mark 1 Supporting Member of TMP23 Jan 2018 6:52 p.m. PST

Might be useful for Tunisia, but not for Torch.

U.S. Army did bring some M3 mediums for Operation Torch. But M3 Mediums with the US style turret were called "Lee" by the Brits, not "Grant".

My understanding is that the tanks the British Army used in Torch were primarily Valentines. The US M3 Medium was simply too big and heavy to be landed across beaches in 1942. The Torch Western Task Force landings in Morocco specifically included Safi, a port that was a great distance from Casablanca (the target), just so that medium tanks could be landed at the harbor.

All other landings occurred over the beaches, and were exclusively done by lighter tanks, including US M3 and M5 Stuarts, and British Valentines.

The "Lee" version of the M3 was used by the US, the Brits, and the Russians. The "Grant" version of the M3 was used only by the Brits.

At least that's what I understand from my readings. Wasn't there, didn't see it m'self.

-Mark
(aka: Mk 1)

New Jersey Devil23 Jan 2018 10:27 p.m. PST

I remember getting that model one christmas, along time ago.

Getting old sucks.

Fire at Will23 Jan 2018 11:46 p.m. PST

I think Piers is referring to the forthcoming book "Battlegroup Torch" which covers all the later battles in North Africa including Gazala and Alamein for which these Grants are well suited.

pzivh43 Supporting Member of TMP24 Jan 2018 4:07 a.m. PST

Very nice as usual. Of course, Mr. Brand could make a potato look like a battle-worn AFV!

deephorse24 Jan 2018 4:19 a.m. PST

I think Piers is referring to the forthcoming book "Battlegroup Torch" which covers all the later battles in North Africa including Gazala and Alamein for which these Grants are well suited.

That's what I was thinking too.

panzerCDR24 Jan 2018 5:33 a.m. PST

"Very nice as usual. Of course, Mr. Brand could make a potato look like a battle-worn AFV!"

How true! Great work as usual! I remember building a couple of these ~40 year ago. Somehow, these look a bit better than mine. Thanks for sharing.

Mark 1 Supporting Member of TMP24 Jan 2018 7:45 p.m. PST

Ah, well in that case all my comments mean quite little. The better topic, as so many have already observed, is how nice these particular models look.

Always had a soft spot for the M3 Medium. I've never really gotten much game time out of the M3s I have, but I sure do look for every possible occasion to put them on a game table.

And if mine looked even half that good I'd be looking for even MORE occasions.

-Mark
(aka: Mk 1)

mysteron Supporting Member of TMP25 Jan 2018 4:28 a.m. PST

I am 100% certain he was referring to Battlegroup Torch the new rules book he is co writing . Piers knows his stuff so I am quite sure he knows the differences between Lees and Grants.

The tanks look really good to me but I dare say they will be replaced at some time in the future when the PSC Grant kit is released.

PiersBrand25 Jan 2018 6:20 a.m. PST

Mark 1,

Apologies for the title… I forget it could be misconstrued without prior knowledge!

The title is indeed in reference to the next Battlegroup book that picks up the desert war from where Battlegroup Tobruk finished and runs to the end of the fighting in Tunisia.

Many thanks for the compliments. They are very old kits but quite fond of them now.

Finished some trucks too and a few Panzer IIIs too!

Lion in the Stars25 Jan 2018 2:33 p.m. PST

As always, beautiful models, Piers!

Some variety of sand-colored paint over US olive drab?

PiersBrand25 Jan 2018 2:47 p.m. PST

Over a British tank brown, where the lower hull was left in brown.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.