Help support TMP

"TOE Soviet Naval Infantry - Squads & Platoon" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

454 hits since 22 Jan 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Umpapa22 Jan 2018 2:43 a.m. PST

I was looking for TOE Soviet Naval Infantry Squads & Platoon.

Do they usually have 9 soldiers per squad:
7 armed with rifles,
1 with SMG and
1 with DP LMG?

3 (4??) Squads in platoon?

Because thats do not concur with Pegasus set:
link

Griefbringer22 Jan 2018 2:54 a.m. PST

Because thats do not concur with Pegasus set

I cannot comment on the historical naval infantry TOE, but I would like to point out that 1/72 plastic sets usually tend to include weapons in ratios that do not match well with historical TOEs.

deephorse22 Jan 2018 3:20 a.m. PST

Yes, I wouldn't take the contents of a box of plastic soldiers as an accurate representation of a unit's TO&E.

Martin Rapier22 Jan 2018 10:59 p.m. PST

Naval infantry were organised like other rifle squads. As noted above, the contents of toy soldier boxes do not bear much relation to real life.

Starfury Rider23 Jan 2018 12:19 p.m. PST

Well I can't pretend to have inside knowledge of SNI organisation, but can offer a few observations.

A summary from March 1944 shows the Brigade including four Battalions, each 945 strong with;

45-mm atk guns 2
50-mm mortars 9
82-mm mortars 9
Atk rifles 24
HMGs 12
LMGs 37
SMGs 210
flamethrowers 18

Now the Red Army was not as liberal with LMG issue as most others, so you can pretty much guarantee the Bn was built around three Rifle Coys, each of three Rifle Pls, each of four Squads, with one LMG per Squad. You can't extrapolate Squad size, but there are a few examples from Red Army Rifle Brigades.

The April 1942 Bde used a Platoon with 51 all ranks;

Officer (SMG), Senior Sgt (R) and Messenger (R) at Pl HQ.
Four Squads, each Sgt (R), Junior Sgt (LMG), Asst gunner (R) and nine men (2 SMG and 7R). Across all four Rifle Squads two riflemen had sniper rifles.

There was a later Rifle Brigade org, full details for which I don't have. A summary shows the Rifle Pl as down to 45 men, with four Rifle Squads of ten each. Purely guessing from developments elsewhere, I'd move the two snipers up to Pl HQ to make it five and delete two riflemen from each Squad. Once you get into 1943 there's also the policy of switching whole Platoons from rifles to SMGs, which might impact one Pl per Coy.

Now the Naval Infantry might have had their own unique set of shtat quite different to the army versions, so make of that what you will.

Gary

Umpapa23 Jan 2018 3:45 p.m. PST

Most people are making squads 10 men strong, but 1 LMG and 1 SMG only:

link

link

link

In reality it sometimes look like this:

In the arrived platoon there were 18 people with a good armament. We have two Maxim machineguns and one light machine gun, two anti-tank rifles, three automata PPSH and radio station

link

Thanks for all comments, I still count on someone bringing TOE, from Zaloga books maybe?

link

Griefbringer24 Jan 2018 2:34 a.m. PST

My Zaloga book (Companion to the Red Army) unfortunately does not include any information specifically about naval infantry.

Murvihill24 Jan 2018 9:54 a.m. PST

I'm pretty sure after 1941 the Naval infantry wore infantry uniforms with a striped undershirt. These guys are more for the '41 battles like Odessa and Sevastapol where the sailors were straight off the ships. The set has a fair number of SVT-40's which you don't see too many of in plastic set, and I think too many SMG's for '41. Also, though the Sov's had TOE's and OB's they also 'did with what they had' often. For my Russian sailor unit I just made up a platoon using the figures available in the set.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.