Help support TMP

"Ballistic Missile Headed To Hawaii - False Alarm" Topic

21 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) Message Board

730 hits since 13 Jan 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2018 11:39 a.m. PST

Check the news, via your favorite outlet(s). This is what people in Hawaii got on their cell phones a little while ago.

It was only a matter of time before our own phones were used against us in acts of terrorism (violence or the fear/threat of violence, directed against the civilian population, to effect some social change).

Dan
PS. It's gotta be the Russians, right? I mean, it's the only enemy threat that most of our media is willing to admit exists. Maybe now they'll broaden that list a little. :)

picture

BalinBalan13 Jan 2018 12:07 p.m. PST

Perhaps it was initially sent 77 years ago?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2018 12:44 p.m. PST

Now the authorities are claiming human error? I dunno if I buy that "oops we pushed the wrong button" excuse.

Did they have a "Tsunami Alert" in mind and pushed the "Missile Alert" button instead? Are those two things even on the same protocol lists?

Or did they have a "Missile Alert" message already prepared for drills? That's plenty creepy right there, seeing as how the "Cold War" is officially over. :)

Dan

zoneofcontrol13 Jan 2018 3:57 p.m. PST

According to Vern Miyagi, Administrator Hawaii EMA;
A Ballistic Missile Alert is all in the wrist.
"Paint the target.
Warning on…
Warning off."

Thank you, Mr. Miyagi.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2018 5:19 p.m. PST

Ha!

Dan
PS. According to some news outlets it took 38 minutes for the alarm to be checked and declared false. That's a long 38 minutes if you think a Missile is headed your way.

Personal logo Striker Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2018 5:46 p.m. PST

So will there be 38 minute babies being born in September?

Walking Sailor14 Jan 2018 11:50 a.m. PST

Was the alarm even checked? Or after 38 minutes did they realize that if nothing's happened yet, then it ain't gonna?

John the Confused14 Jan 2018 12:44 p.m. PST

Ooooops!

coopman14 Jan 2018 2:57 p.m. PST

There is a LOT more to this story than they are telling us. I don't buy the somebody hit the wrong button excuse. Why didn't that button have some blue masking tape over it?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP14 Jan 2018 3:35 p.m. PST

Coopman

My point precisely. A ballistic missile alert is a completely different animal.

If issued by the State at all*, a missile alert should only be done after passing a long checklist, with lots of important names attached to it, the Governor included.

So I think this was a hacking job, and the last thing a nation's military and civil officials want the public to think is that they are wide open to such external tampering. I think the key piece of the puzzle is the 38 minutes it took for them to get control back from that unwelcome individual, group or nation, in order to issue a cancellation/retraction.

So … are State alert networks that easy to penetrate? If not, then who are on the short list of those who could breakthrough no matter what?

This either falls under foreign or domestic terrorism by an individual or group. And if a foreign government is actually involved, then this is an act of war. If it is the latter, then it will be made known at some point, if the elected officials want the public to support any kind of military response.

Dan
* During the Cold War, as advances were made in missile propulsion and the time to impact got shorter and shorter, we were told that very few outside of military and federal government would get any real advance notice of a Missile attack. Certainly not the general civilian population. So, another question to ask is, does the State even have such an alert category these days, or was that fabricated by the hackers as well?

whitejamest14 Jan 2018 8:01 p.m. PST

I like a conspiratorial "what are they not telling us?!" story as much as the next guy, but never count out human stupidity. There's no system in the world we're not capable of misusing.

Supercilius Maximus15 Jan 2018 8:03 a.m. PST

A Ballistic Missile Alert is all in the wrist.
"Paint the target.
Warning on…
Warning off."

Thank you, Mr. Miyagi.

Fair play, though he was really good in "The Karate Kid".

Charlie 1215 Jan 2018 7:05 p.m. PST

So I think this was a hacking job, and the last thing a nation's military and civil officials want the public to think is that they are wide open to such external tampering. I think the key piece of the puzzle is the 38 minutes it took for them to get control back from that unwelcome individual, group or nation, in order to issue a cancellation/retraction.

OH PLEEEEZE…..

Whitejamest hit it square on. Human stupidity is far more insidious than some mysterious hacking conspiracy.

Dan, you might want to lay off the bad spy thriller fiction….

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP15 Jan 2018 8:22 p.m. PST

You might be right. Human stupidity* might be far more insidious.

Dan
* And complacency

USAFpilot15 Jan 2018 9:27 p.m. PST

I don't think command centers have red guarded switches anymore like you see in some 1980's War Game type movie. Everything is done on computers. As HAL from 2001 would say, "It could only be due to human error."

Caedite Eos16 Jan 2018 4:49 a.m. PST

Dan, why do you want big government involved in sending out warnings – a long checklist of officials leading up to the governor? Death by big governmnent made real

Lion in the Stars16 Jan 2018 1:12 p.m. PST

As I understand it, it was supposed to be the "This is a drill" message. Someone failed to see the "NOT" in the one they selected for transmission. Hell, we had the XO mess up one night and call battlestations missile, this is NOT a drill! (boy were we awake after that!)

That person needs more coffee before operating computer equipment, assuming that they still have a job.

And ~38 minutes sounds about right for the governmental delay loop.

Personal logo Striker Supporting Member of TMP16 Jan 2018 3:53 p.m. PST

From what I read it was the wrong selection in a drop-down list. You know, something you'd want like "print" or "print preview" together, why not follow that model?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP16 Jan 2018 11:22 p.m. PST

Caedite Eos

In the real world most governors want to be informed about exceptional State-issued announcements like this type before or as they go out.

Dan

Caedite Eos17 Jan 2018 4:16 a.m. PST

I get that. But you said a long checklist, with lots of names, not just the governor.

It's a pretty time sensitive thing to do. In the real world…

Lion in the Stars17 Jan 2018 2:48 p.m. PST

From what I read it was the wrong selection in a drop-down list. You know, something you'd want like "print" or "print preview" together, why not follow that model?

And in said dropdown, the "THIS IS A DRILL" option was almost indistinguishable from the "YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!" option.

About as bad as Print/Print Preview. How many times have you accidentally printed something you only wanted to preview?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.