Help support TMP

"Fahrenheit 451" Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Media Message Board

583 hits since 12 Jan 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP12 Jan 2018 9:32 p.m. PST

"The first teaser trailer for HBO Film's upcoming adaptation of Ray Bradbury‘s Fahrenheit 451 is here and it's literal fire. Written and directed by Ramin Bahrani (99 Homes), with co-writer Amir Naderi, the TV movie stars Michael B. Jordan as protagonist/fireman Guy Montag alongside Michael Shannon as his boss, Captain Beatty. Neither of them are front and center in this first teaser trailer (luckily we have some previously released images that take care of this for us), but the video doesn't really need them just yet. The burning of classics of literature like "Crime and Punishment", "Lolita", "The Catcher in the Rye", "Homer" and "Huckleberry Finn" is eye-catching enough. I can't wait to see more from this.

The last time we saw this inflammatory tome adapted, it was for the big screen in François Truffaut‘s 1966 film starring Oskar Werner and Cyril Cusack in the leads. After more than 50 years, it's high time for a refresher on this cautionary tale, and I'd be amazed if Bradbury's 1953 story didn't still resonate with modern audiences. Also starring Sofia Boutella, Laura Harrier, Keir Dullea, Martin Donovan, Grace Lynn Kung, and Jane Moffatt, Fahrenheit 451 arrives on HBO…"
See it here

link

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP12 Jan 2018 9:58 p.m. PST

Interesting. However, I'm sure that when the book burnings do happen, the book titles selected for cultural cleansing will be different ones.

Dan
PS. By the way, wasn't Equilibrium just a remake of Fahrenheit 451, but with karate and gun fights?

picture

picture

picture

Personal logo javelin98 Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2018 12:12 a.m. PST

Sean Bean! Yeah!!

Personal logo StoneMtnMinis Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2018 6:57 a.m. PST

Dan,

Right on target as usual.

TNE230013 Jan 2018 8:21 a.m. PST

After more than 50 years, it's high time for a refresher on this cautionary tale, and I'd be amazed if Bradbury's 1953 story didn't still resonate with modern audiences.

I'm worried that too many will instead mistake it for a 'how to'

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2018 10:52 a.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Dynaman878913 Jan 2018 11:38 a.m. PST

Looking forward to this one, I liked the 1966 version, and sadly have not yet read the book – that I remember. I do remember reading a couple of spots from it so perhaps I have read it and just don't remember it versus the movie.

Lonkka1Actual13 Jan 2018 2:41 p.m. PST

Don't worry! Sean's character is bound to kick the bucket soon!

goragrad13 Jan 2018 3:02 p.m. PST

One of Bradbury's more readable books.

As noted will be of interest to see which books are the targets.

ROUWetPatchBehindTheSofa14 Jan 2018 9:47 a.m. PST

PS. By the way, wasn't Equilibrium just a remake of Fahrenheit 451, but with karate and gun fights?

And half-a-dozen other books and films, like We and THX 1138.

emckinney14 Jan 2018 1:46 p.m. PST

"Interesting. However, I'm sure that when the book burnings do happen, the book titles selected for cultural cleansing will be different ones."

Blah, blah, blah, snowflake, blah, blah, blah …

Someone missed the point of the book.

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP14 Jan 2018 9:54 p.m. PST

"Literal" does not mean what the writer thinks it means.

The Shadow15 Jan 2018 9:24 a.m. PST

Remember. The point of the book was a warning about the future, where political correctness will force us to burn any books that might make anyone uncomfortable or offend them. Beatty explains this to Montag in one of the sections.

"Don't step on the toes of the dog-lovers, the cat-lovers, doctors, lawyers, merchants, chiefs, Mormons, Baptists, Unitarians, second-generation Chinese, Swedes, Italians, Germans, Texans, Brooklynites, Irishmen, people from Oregon or Mexico. The people in this book, this play, this TV serial are not meant to represent any actual painters, cartographers, mechanics anywhere. The bigger your market, Montag, the less you handle controversy, remember that! All the minor minor minorities with their navels to be kept clean. Authors, full of evil thoughts, lock up your typewriters. They did. Magazines became a nice blend of vanilla tapioca. Books, so the damned snobbish critics said, were dishwater. No wonder books stopped selling, the critics said."

Also:

"Colored people don't like Little Black Sambo. Burn it. White people don't feel good about Uncle Tom's Cabin. Burn it. Someone's written a book on tobacco and cancer of the lungs? The cigarette people are weeping? Burn the book. Serenity, Montag. Peace, Montag."

I can only guess, in this age of "micro aggression" and "soft racism", how the film makers will spin Bradbury's *extremely* anti-PC book.

The Shadow16 Jan 2018 6:16 p.m. PST

TNE2300

>>I'm worried that too many will instead mistake it for a 'how to'<<

Too many people already are destroying art because they are uncomfortable or offended. Here in the US of A people are tearing down statues of notable people that were members of the Confederacy during the American Civil War. Those statues are artist's renditions of people. They shouldn't be destroyed because they offend some group or groups.

USAFpilot16 Jan 2018 7:44 p.m. PST

Reminds me of what Gandalf said to Saruman: 'And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.'

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.