Help support TMP

"Duelling with Swords - The Reality." Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

599 hits since 7 Dec 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango0107 Dec 2017 8:48 p.m. PST

"On the morning of Saturday 15 November 1712, two men met in Hyde Park, London, to fight a duel. That they should meet in such a place for such a purpose was not unusual. No one in English society was perturbed by the increase in duelling during the latter part of the seventeenth century and the early years of the eighteenth. But everyone was shocked by the brutality of the fight between Charles, Lord Mohun, and James, Duke of Hamilton, that morning in 1712 and especially by its outcome. The duel led to a change in English law. Contrary to common belief that duels were fought honourably and fairly, the duel between Mohun and Hamilton demonstrated just how false such notions were.

The cause of the quarrel between the two men is uncertain but according to an account written in 1735, Mohun's second, General Macartney, inflamed the dispute and fomented the duel to avoid a long and expensive law suit between the two protagonists. While there is no doubt that Hamilton was keen to fight, Mohun was far less enthusiastic. Once at Hyde Park, Mohun would have dismissed the seconds as he believed them unnecessary but Hamilton would have none of it stating ‘Mr Macartney should have a share of the dance'. Macartney and the Duke had an acrimonious history.

Armed with smallswords, the two principals then fell upon each other without regard for the niceties…."
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

goragrad In the TMP Dawghouse07 Dec 2017 9:38 p.m. PST

Quite interesting.

Personal logo Ironwolf Supporting Member of TMP07 Dec 2017 10:50 p.m. PST

good read.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP08 Dec 2017 3:13 a.m. PST

I never understood the idea of fairness when your one and only life is on the line. :)

Dan
YouTube link
YouTube link

picture

picture

picture

picture

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP08 Dec 2017 3:49 a.m. PST

Agree Dan…heck I'd have brought a gun!

Tango0108 Dec 2017 10:21 a.m. PST

Glad you enjoyed it my friends! (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP08 Dec 2017 1:18 p.m. PST

Murder may be cloaked in civility, but the cloak will always fall off.

I'm not of that time, but I see no reason to kill a man over mere words.

Tango0108 Dec 2017 11:09 p.m. PST

What if he insult your wife…? (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP09 Dec 2017 1:36 p.m. PST

I will meet you sir, in the meadow at precisely 6 A.M.!!
If I am not there by 6:30, then start without me!!

Regards
Russ Dunaway

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP10 Dec 2017 12:02 a.m. PST

Lol. I like that!

Dan

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP10 Dec 2017 2:32 a.m. PST

Bring back dueling. Would reduce murder rates. And you could monetize it by showing the duels on HBO/netflix.

Tango0110 Dec 2017 3:34 p.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.