Help support TMP

"Mortem et Gloriam Battle Report" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

389 hits since 7 Dec 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

RobSmith07 Dec 2017 8:47 a.m. PST

Here is a recent write up of a battle between Middle Republican Romans and Later Macedonian Successors. In January there are some updates planned for the rules and so we were playtesting those.

link

There are other write ups on the same page.

torokchar Supporting Member of TMP07 Dec 2017 8:12 p.m. PST

Excellent report Rob – I hope to play one day with your group. Keep us posted. It was great seeing the game at MillenniumCon (Texas) – and also great skyping in the author from S. Africa during the convention.

maverick290908 Dec 2017 7:08 p.m. PST

I had no clue there were players in Texas! We have a substantial group of Ancients players up here in OKC. Do you all exclusively play MEG, or do you branch out into other games like DBX or ADLG?

I have been wanting to get into MEG. We currently just picked up playing ADLG from DBM.

Marcus Brutus09 Dec 2017 7:13 a.m. PST

The only problem I find with ADLG or MEG is that the games don't look anything like how I imagine battles being fought in the ancient world. Most ancient games show wide gaps in the lines and a level of maneuverability that I don't think existed in those times. We were playing Impetus last night and the battles looked right to my eyes. Large groups of stands moving forward as a block. One might not like the Impetus system itself but with the changes in the rules a year or two back and the extra bonuses for flank support the effect is to encourage players to move groups forward, not individual units or a few stands together. I think Aramati did a great job of this but kind of fell out of favour because it was overly rigid in its approach. Pictures of HC games give the same feel too as Impetus. I put an old picture of a Middle Assyrian/Knights of St. John game from a few years back. Notice the Assyrians are deployed along a solid front and the Knights of St. John's in two battles. That seems realistic to my understanding.

20140622_195625 by Eusebeia2002, on Flickr

David Smith Supporting Member of TMP10 Dec 2017 8:34 a.m. PST

Maverick2909

There are several ancient gamers up here in KC. We play ADLG, and also To the Strongest. We used to play Armati and loved it, also Fields of Glory.

Dave

RobSmith11 Dec 2017 8:32 a.m. PST

Right now in Austin the Ancients gaming is split between MeG and FoG. More active seems to be MeG right now, but I could be mistaken. We are also building MeG players in Dallas and San Antonio, after running a couple of demo games at the recent MillenniumCon.

We played FoG for many years. Some time after 2nd ed. came out, things tapered off. I think some had to do with FoG tournaments declining across the US. Third edition has not picked up too much here, as far as I can tell.

We dabbled in ADLG, but did not really fancy going back to a DBx clone. We like the units concept from FoG and earlier WRG rules. DBx has a larger following in San Antonio.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.