Help support TMP

"Question on ADLG" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

442 hits since 6 Dec 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Hagar the Horrible06 Dec 2017 8:15 p.m. PST

I have only played these rules a couple of times, so perhaps my question comes from misinterpretation. The question is, can a stand in ADLG "recoil", similar to DBA? I can see that certain, typically lighter or cavalry units, can break off in certain circumstances, but I get the impression that for other units, say heavy infantry vs heavy infantry, once they come together they just go at it until one is dead or routs.

Is that right?

madaxeman06 Dec 2017 9:38 p.m. PST

There are no "recoils" in ADLG – instead each unit has a number of "hit points" (I forget the technical term, but you know what I mean) that it needs to lose before being removed.

Thee "recoil" mechanism in DBx is a key part of the system and is important for prolonged combat resolution, but it has often also been seen as a cause of a number of problematic, overly geometric issues With the system. Put another way, gamers who cite "geometric problems" as being something that puts them off DBx games are usually talking about things that are linked to the recoil mechanic.

ADLGs design and mechanics very clearly builds on the DBx foundation, and so I guess that swapping recoils for varying cohesion levels was the ADLG authors solutions to reduce the "pah, it's a game of geometry" feel in what is still very much a DBx-based system in other aspects.

If you get hit in the flank in ADLG, you are still however totally f—ked. So that principle (which, in DBx is achieved by preventing recoils) is still very much there!

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP06 Dec 2017 10:35 p.m. PST

ADLG?

Dan

Personal logo Bashytubits Supporting Member of TMP06 Dec 2017 10:52 p.m. PST

Ancient and Medieval rules

link

Attalus I07 Dec 2017 6:08 a.m. PST

The "recoil" mechanism in DBx is a key part of the system and is important for prolonged combat resolution, but it has often also been seen as a cause of a number of problematic, overly geometric issues With the system. Put another way, gamers who cite "geometric problems" as being something that puts them off DBx games are usually talking about things that are linked to the recoil mechanic.

I believe that DBA 3.0 has fixed recoil issues from previous versions. Honestly, recoils are something I miss when playing ADLG. Just a personal preference.

Mick the Metalsmith07 Dec 2017 6:48 a.m. PST

Easy enough to make a hit also a recoil of a base. Voila.

maverick290907 Dec 2017 12:57 p.m. PST

I HATED recoils with a passion in DBM. Just made the game more fiddly and geometric than it needed to be.

aynsley683 Supporting Member of TMP07 Dec 2017 1:49 p.m. PST

I can see both sides of the whole recoiling issue in DBx , but whenever I've put something behind an enemy recoiling element I've always made sure it was a definite ‘ I'm directly behind you' thing with at least 51% of my element ( played Skythians a lot shall we say ) , rather than the whole toe nail or millimetre of something to stop it, if it was that close I generally let it go.

But saying that I very much do like the ADLG approach to the whole thing to resolve the issue, besides the having to have markers all over the place.

Hagar the Horrible07 Dec 2017 5:05 p.m. PST

Thanks very much for the replies, particularly from madeaxman, love your battle reports.

Go it, no recoils. So is it impossible in ADLG to simulate a battle like Cannae, with troops giving ground, or like Hastings, with troops breaking off? It seems that way to me. Of course there is the point that ADLG takes a different conceptual approach. But it does seem a weakness. Otherwise I think ADLG is a good game.

madaxeman08 Dec 2017 7:01 a.m. PST

ADLG does have "some" breakoffs, but only for faster-moving troops, so Hastings with mounted cavalry breaking off is sort of possible (but not I think with Impetuous Cavalry?).

OTH I also think that even in DBx rules with push-backs a Cannae-esque retreat would be incredibly difficult to pull off – you'd start to lose units long before you managed to fall back any sort of meaningful distance.

For Cannae, you also have the added problem in DBM that Gallic foot warband quick-kill the Romans rather than push them back…!

So, probably one for house rules rather than core mechanics in both DBx and ADLG

lkmjbc308 Dec 2017 7:34 p.m. PST

Cannae is quite possible with DBA 3. Blades are impetuous and pursue. Gallic and Spanish infantry of the period are 4Ax… or "Solid" Auxilia in game terminology. Significant push backs and follow ups are quite possible.

Just saying…

Joe Collins

aynsley683 Supporting Member of TMP10 Dec 2017 5:35 a.m. PST

But in dba 3. as madaxeman points out already, it'll take too long Especially as you've got a 12 v 12 game anyway.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.