Help support TMP

"King's Royal Rifle Corp - Sudan" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Painting Guides Message Board

Areas of Interest

19th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Workbench Article

Simple Magnetic Flight Stands

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian takes another stab at building a more perfect flight stand.

869 hits since 6 Dec 2017
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Khartoum Maxim06 Dec 2017 6:52 a.m. PST

I am putting together a British field force for the Sudan Campaign, I have built some Perry plastics to represent the rifle corp, but keep coming across conflicting information with regards to the uniform. Some sources have them wearing rifle green, others grey serge and I have come across colour plates with the riflemen wearing khaki. I am relatively new to historical wargaming, is there wiggle room when it comes to uniforms? Particularly when there isn't solid evidence.

VCarter Supporting Member of TMP06 Dec 2017 7:09 a.m. PST

More than just wiggle room on my table.

In this case you want Rifle Corp, do them in green.

99% of the gamers will see the unit and know what it is. The other 1% will say it's the wrong shade of green are a-holes.

Two examples from my own collection:

1) My Zulu war 24th foot all have bright white helmets.

2) My local force Viet Cong with some figures wearing rice paddy hats. Nothing says VC to most people than that.

Personal logo aegiscg47 Supporting Member of TMP06 Dec 2017 7:18 a.m. PST

Yes, the KRRC is one of those units where there are several sources citing different variations on their dress. A few have them in khaki, but one source had them in their black green until the start of WW1! I think you could go either way and no one could prove you wrong, plus you need to choose what you think would look best on your tabletop.

foxweasel06 Dec 2017 7:33 a.m. PST

Do what you like. There's history, popular history and wargamers history, rarely do all 3 match up. Like VCarter I've done my 24th Foot in white helmets, mainly because they had them in the film. If any rivet counter says they're wrong, I just reply that the day before this battle they were ordered to whiten the helmets for an inspection.
So if you want them in Rifle green go for it.

Winston Smith06 Dec 2017 8:34 a.m. PST

Nothing says "Rifles" like dark green.
If at different times they wore different uniforms, are you going to paint up 24 figure units for each period? I think not.

Winston Smith06 Dec 2017 8:36 a.m. PST

And if you are putting on a game at a convention and some nimrod tells you the uniforms are wrong, tell him you will delay the game 5 minutes so he can buy and paint for you the correct and proper ones.
But only 5 minutes, and you get to keep them.

Big Martin Back06 Dec 2017 2:00 p.m. PST

The KRRC provided men to the camel corps. They wore the grey coats and cord breeches issued to those units with the black equipment of rifle units. What any others wore, I wouldn't like to swear to!

Personal logo ColCampbell Supporting Member of TMP06 Dec 2017 5:29 p.m. PST

To be perfectly accurate, it name is King's Royal Rifle Corps, not Corp (which is an abbreviation for the rank of Corporal).


Khartoum Maxim07 Dec 2017 10:56 a.m. PST

Colcampbell – apologies for the oversight.

Khartoum Maxim07 Dec 2017 10:59 a.m. PST

Thanks for the responses, I must admit I'm leaning towards khaki. I cut the bayonets off their rifles as understand that they still used the sword bayonet, so they will still be easily identified on the tabletop.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.