Help support TMP

"Passing the torch" Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy RPG Message Board

293 hits since 5 Dec 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Sundance05 Dec 2017 5:32 p.m. PST

So my kids have been involved in playing games with me since they were little, and my now 14 y.o. daughter has even played in some war games with my friends and I. Recently she was on a school trip to a robotics competition and told me about listening to the boys in the back of the bus playing D&D. She thought it sounded interesting. SO…for Christmas she is getting the Player's Handbook and the Monster Manual, 5th ed. I still prefer my old 2nd ed. to the newfangled models, but I do like that they simplified it so that you don't have to have the DM's Guide in order to play. As someone asked a while ago, D&D was one of my first war games. Haven't played for years, but still enjoy the memories.

Mister Tibbles05 Dec 2017 6:02 p.m. PST

That is awesome! Fueling a young imagination is so important.

I have very fond memories from the 1970s playing D&D, back when no one knew what it was! Man, it was fun and makes me feel old! (Ok, I AM old!) My D&D sweet spot still is the old Red and Blue sets. Maybe some day I will dust off the old boxes for the grandkids.

BTW if she is into Star Wars, I highly recommend The Force Awakens: Beginner Game from Fantasy Flight Games, or any of their other beginner game boxes depending if original trilogy is more her thing. She is the perfect age for the system, and the beginner game walks players through the rules while playing the modules. I love the dice system. link
The SWRPG community is very strong and friendly from my experience.

Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2017 8:35 p.m. PST

I introduced my sons to 2e AD&D, when they hit their teen years. I bought them used copies of both 1e and 2e, so they would have complete books, as 2e was much better with 1e books to refer back to for certain aspects.

This was in the 3.5e era. My sons have played 3.xe games, but they prefer 2e games -- mine in particular. One son tells me that I ruined him for other DM's, as their games are sub-par compared to mine. He even tried 4e, but came back to my 2e games.

I have been playing 2e games with two of my three sons, ever since they started, around 16 years ago. My oldest son lives in Germany, so he physically cannot game with us anymore. It keeps us involved with one another, outside of just the holidays. My wife used to game with us, as well. It was a fantastic family pastime, which provided numerous memories for us, as a family.

Whatever rules you choose to play, try to see if you can game together -- ruin her for other DM's by teaching her to play the proper way… Enjoy gaming together, if possible. It may become a lifelong pursuit for you, which will keep her in your life, much closer than anything else might. Cheers!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.