Help support TMP

"Is GW responding to Mantic? " Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer Message Board

Back to the 28mm Fantasy Message Board

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

Action Log

06 Dec 2017 8:34 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "Is GW responding to Mastic? " to "Is GW responding to Mantic? "

1,142 hits since 5 Dec 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The H Man05 Dec 2017 1:54 p.m. PST

Sorry Ronnie. Read as Mantic.

Mentioned on another topic is that GW plan to release their old white dwarf lord of the rings battle company fantasy skirmish game soon.

This comes not long after mantic start a kick starter for kings of war vanguard fantasy skermish game.

Coincidence?

Evidence I can see.
I would have thought an aos skirmish game more likely. They have already done silver tower. It would seem a logical choice. However they already have battle companies, cleaning that up would be far easier.

Weather or not this is true it is interesting that both similar games pop up so close together.

Hades wolf05 Dec 2017 1:58 p.m. PST

At least they are not "stuck" in their old ways!

Sorry couldn't resist

Glen

The H Man05 Dec 2017 2:01 p.m. PST

Had to look it up. We'll done.

For everyone else mastic is a tree resin.

dsfrank05 Dec 2017 3:25 p.m. PST

No – it they were re-releasing Mordheim maybe but LOTR skirmish – nope

Syr Hobbs Wargames Sponsoring Member of TMP05 Dec 2017 3:38 p.m. PST

I'm not really sure what you are saying here. GW just listed for pre-sale a set of rules that covers Battle Companies. This has been a fan made favorite for sometime and is just now available in an official capacity.

Duane

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2017 4:45 p.m. PST

Is this thread related to the ~6 jump in the GW shareprice last week to ~24 ?

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2017 4:46 p.m. PST

What is the

old white dwarf lord of the rings battle company fantasy skirmish game soon.
?

Centurio Prime05 Dec 2017 6:13 p.m. PST

What in the world is this? Lord of the Rings has existed as a skirmish game by GW for over 15 years. I'm pretty sure they didn't get the idea from Mantic.

The H Man05 Dec 2017 8:36 p.m. PST

To clarify.

Back in the day while GW were producing a mini game of Peter Jacksons film versions of the Lord of the rings white dwarf began running rules to cover the main rules and models use in a skirmish game like mordheim or necromunda. You would have about 10-20 models and they would gain experience and advance from game to game.

Now they sound to be releasing the Extra rules as a proper book.

This anouncment coming just after a similar game by mantic is announced.

Centurio Prime06 Dec 2017 4:45 a.m. PST

LOL they also released a couple of other similar skirmish games, is Mantic calling the shots now ? Haha

The H Man06 Dec 2017 5:14 a.m. PST

Perhaps. They, and others did lead GW in giving away rules, for one example.

Than again mantic may have an inside man in GW.

Baranovich Supporting Member of TMP06 Dec 2017 5:17 a.m. PST

This is pure coincidence, nothing more.

As has been said above by others, GW's LOTR skirmish game has been around for years. And, earlier this year GW did release a low-cost single book skirmish game for AOS, called aptly enough: Age of Sigmar Skirmish. I have the book here in front of me.

Interesting thought but I think one of those examples of maybe reading into something too much.

The H Man06 Dec 2017 5:40 a.m. PST

Thanks for the info. That puts a new spin on it.

I guess they are finding an extra book easier to produce than a separate boxed game.

Earl of the North06 Dec 2017 7:31 a.m. PST

Vanguard is really just Mantic doing what they have already done for their sci-fi range which has Deadzone (skirmish) and Warpath (mass battle).

This rulebook from GW seems to be them simply looking to see if they can detect any interest in the LoTR range which would likely be more than mostly dead at this point if GW hadn't paid for the license.

Personal logo Dentatus Supporting Member of TMP Fezian06 Dec 2017 10:44 a.m. PST

H-Man, you seem to enjoy these conspiracies. This must be the 3rd or 4th time you've posited this GW/Mantic rivalry.

While I doubt GW worries over smaller companies like Mantic, they must take note of strategies that work/don't work.

In their recent effort to rebrand/polish their reputation, and capture other segments of the market, GW will certainly deploy any ideas and product configurations that will help.

I'm pretty certain things like free rules and skirmish warband games did't originate with Mantic tho. Does it make sense for me to claim Star Saga was derived from Space Hulk? No. They're just variations on an old theme.

The H Man06 Dec 2017 12:05 p.m. PST

All good points. Though chicken and egg do spring to mind for most of it these days.

I am a big X files fan.

Syr Hobbs Wargames Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Dec 2017 4:26 p.m. PST

Talk of this supplement has been around for a long while and new rules for the Hobbit SBG is expected to be released this summer (2018) titled the Middle Earth SBG. Current troop states from the "There and Back Again" supplement will remain as is. I believe the new rules will replace the six blue books and update the older LOTR stats from the LOTR trilogy rules written before the Hobbit SBG rules.

There is no way a corporation like GW will hastily throw together a supplement in a short time just because of a rival company like Mantic. GW most likely has a long term plan like any other corporation and this is all part of it.

Duane

The H Man06 Dec 2017 11:04 p.m. PST

Any good business has a long term plan.

Any good business can deviate from it in a heartbeat.

There are many examples.
Warmaster 6mm plastics.
Revenge of the jedi.
Matells conan range.
Peter Jacksons first go at Kong.
That caption mag Stan Lee worked on, dumped when jfk died.
Musitions and artists can dump a year of work and start over.
Many a kick starter.

These examples don't have much to do with competition, but I'm sure there are examples of that also, if not GW and Mantic. It's just hard for us on the outside to Guage what is competition related changes and what is not. I give it my best go.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.