Help support TMP

"40K Rules Question" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

277 hits since 5 Dec 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP05 Dec 2017 6:51 a.m. PST

Some types of troops are able to sacrifice themselves to spare a character figure. In the old 2nd edition rules it was the "Look out, sir-Arg!" rule :)

8th Edition has a similar rule, although I can't recall what it is called. But it states that on a successful die roll the sacrificial figure can take one 'wound' instead of the character. What, exactly does that mean? Say the character takes a hit from a lascannon, fails the save and the firer rolls a 6 on the damage roll. Does the sacrifice take all 6 wounds (I.e. push the character aside and get vaporized) or does the sacrifice just absorb one wound and the other 5 go on to hit the character?

Battle Phlox05 Dec 2017 9:46 a.m. PST

I think that is the Bodyguard rule from the Imperial Guard codex. Only Ogryn Bodyguards can use it. If there is another similar rule I'm not aware of it.

Moonbeast Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2017 10:03 a.m. PST

"I think that is the Bodyguard rule from the Imperial Guard codex. Only Ogryn Bodyguards can use it. If there is another similar rule I'm not aware of it."

Death Guard Deathshroud and Beasts of Nurgle can use it as well as Tyranid Tyrant Guard. I'm sure there are others as well. My books say they take the "hit" from the weapon not a "wound".

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP05 Dec 2017 11:35 a.m. PST

The Space Marine Veterans and Honor Guards can also use it. It would certainly make sense that the guard would take the full effect of the hit no matter how much damage it deals out, but the rule isn't very clear.

28mm Fanatik05 Dec 2017 12:30 p.m. PST

The bodyguard or unit soaks up the full effect of the hit no matter how many wounds it deals out, so any excess "overkill" damage of the weapon is wasted since characters are treated as a separate model in 8th edition. Same rationale as the rule that characters can no longer be picked off by snipers.

Neal Smith05 Dec 2017 2:13 p.m. PST

The "wound" is the "hit". The "damage" is the d6 roll.

Therefore, the bodyguard would take all d6.

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP05 Dec 2017 6:09 p.m. PST

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.