Help support TMP

"Help with French 1812 Uniforms" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

568 hits since 26 Nov 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Meadman26 Nov 2017 8:16 a.m. PST

Hi all.

I'm looking for some rather pedantic information on French 28mm figures and the uniforms involved.
Basically i'm interested in the 1812 invasion of Russia campaign and retreat and i'm trying to work out which figures can be used as pre-bardin regulation, but from figure sets that are 1812-1815 roughly.

I have some metal pre-1812 Perry figures and a box of their plastic 1812-1815 which feature fusiliers, grenadiers/voltigeurs in Greatcoats as well as with shako covers.
There is a similar set which Warlord games sell (https://store.warlordgames.com/products/napoleonic-war-late-french-line-infantry)

So my question is, if I purely use the plastic perry or warlord greatcoat figures with the covered shakos, would all of the Bardin regulation differences be hidden or are there some i'm unaware of?

Rather pedantic I know but if you could help it would be great, thank you in advance.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP26 Nov 2017 9:03 a.m. PST

With a greatcoat and a shako with a cover you are pretty much OK for any French post 1806 although technically the post Bardin greatcoats were supposed to be a brownish beige as opposed to grey, brown or blue

Marcel180926 Nov 2017 10:40 a.m. PST

On campaign, much of the regulation details would be lost anyway, grab what you can get and make improvised field repairs. In the retreat, troops without a greatcoat would be very rare indeed. so yes they can be used for 1812. But I would throw in a few ttroops in "full" uniform just to add a splash of colour, otherwise where is the fun in 28 mm napoleonics, might just as well be world war two :) .

von Winterfeldt26 Nov 2017 11:37 a.m. PST

In case you are very pendanic, like me, I would say no – you couldn't use Perry Plastics in greatcoat and shako cover – because the shako was much smaller pre Bardin and the silhouette plays at least for me – a very important factor for the outlook of the miniature.

Otherwise – if you are only half pedandic – I would say – yes a good compromise to save money.

4th Cuirassier27 Nov 2017 1:36 a.m. PST

I read an article years ago in Miniature Wargaming or perhaps something older even than that. The gist of it was that the writer suggested painting all your units in greatcoats and shako covers, so they could then be used as any troops of any side in any era when shakoes were worn.

This seemed to me to be rather missing the point of doing Napoleonics, as Marcel1809 observes…

davbenbak Supporting Member of TMP27 Nov 2017 6:19 a.m. PST

You could perhaps use the greatcoat figures as second or third battalions to support your correctly attired units.

setsuko27 Nov 2017 7:42 a.m. PST

Yeah, I'm also doing French for the invasion of 1812, and despite being a bit of a stickler to detail, I ended up mixing pre-1812 and 1812 uniforms. Mostly to preserve my sanity, and not to miss out on some great miniatures. :)

Murvihill27 Nov 2017 9:17 a.m. PST

If you are doing greatcoats I'd do a few in either rugs or lady's fur coats. Those uniforms seem to be unique to the 1812 winter campaign.

4th Cuirassier27 Nov 2017 9:42 a.m. PST

And if you game 1970s Cold War you could at a pinch use such figures to depict members of the Village People.

huevans01127 Nov 2017 1:08 p.m. PST

So my question is, if I purely use the plastic perry or warlord greatcoat figures with the covered shakos, would all of the Bardin regulation differences be hidden or are there some i'm unaware of?

Rather pedantic I know but if you could help it would be great, thank you in advance.

The only thing that would niggle me is whether the legere centre coys would need cross belts. Post Bardin, they were reduced to the single pathetic bayonet / cartridge box combo uni-belt of the lignards!!

In 1812, they would probably stand tall and proud with two belts like grenadiers!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.