Help support TMP

"Setting up a World Eaters force 8th Ed." Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

290 hits since 12 Nov 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

kallman12 Nov 2017 10:36 a.m. PST

Okay, I've been painting a lot of 40k lately and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel to having my Chaos Space Marine force completed. Then I will get back to my Sons of Americus vanilla Space Marines.

I estimate that I have well over 2000 points of Chaos Space Marines either painted or well on the way. The majority of the force are either Khorne Berserkers or other units with Khorne colors and icons. I am considering making this a joint World Eaters/Black Legion force. Here is why, psykers right now with the Smite Spam have an advantage that hurts non pysker forces, just ask the Tau players how that is working for them. Going ALL World Eater/Khorne has the same problem. Yes I can summon a unit of Flesh Hounds that can deny the witch but that is about it beside a potent command point eating stratagem.

Fluff wise I can see this alliance as the World Eaters have not been a large unified legion since the Battle of Skalathrax, and of course I have as part of that force that fun guy Khârn the Betrayer. evil grin

So my idea is that this is a warband of former World Eaters and perhaps recent inductees to the Berserker Cult who have warily joined Khârn to do what Khorne Berserkers love to do. But they needed some help getting around and all that other support that comes with going after the decadent false emperor worshiping Imperium. Hence the Black Legion with all the other unit types including some sorcerers (i.e., pyskers) who keep a healthy distance from Khârn and the other World Eaters. Would not want to get to close to those guys because their fun and games tend to turn fatal.wink

Or…would a World Eater force also consist of the other kind of units found in other Chaos Space Marine forces? In other words Havocs, Chosen, Possessed (those I can see easily) Warp Talons, Chaos Bikers, etc. Of course there are a plethora of demonic Khorne war engines that would make sense, but I do not have many of those at the moment as most are Forge World models and cost prohibitive, for now.

Thoughts? Right now I have painted up a unit of Chosen with the Chaos Icon of Khorne painted in World Eater red, as well as some terminators which clearly there is precedence for having with the World Eaters. Other than sorcerers and the other Chaos god specific units (Plague Marines, and certainly not the Thousand Sons or Emperor's Children units) what other units do you think would not be fluffy with a World Eaters ONLY force? Or should I not care too much and just go with my original plan of the WE/BL combo?

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP12 Nov 2017 11:35 a.m. PST

I've always thought that bikers and raptors would work well with WE. For a lot of the editions they were not able to take marks though which seemed odd.

The one big problem I have with my own 30K World Eater force is the lack of assault squads in it. I need more of them.

I understand that over time a device like a jump pack or a bike would start to malfunction and probably a Khorne Berzerker wouldn't have the wherewithal to fix it, but still you would think there would be a few kicking around still, enough to make a squad or two in every army.

kallman12 Nov 2017 1:36 p.m. PST

Yea the jump pack thing would be nice for Khorne Berserkers. Of course I have noticed that with 8th GW has gone back to omitting certain equipment for the so called traitor legions. CSM do not have access to heavy plasma guns except I think for Dreadnaughts/Hellbrute, at least that is what I will now call my old Chaos Dread models. Other than the Rhino, Landraider, and Vindicator, CSM do not have the other common SM vehicles. I would love to have the option of Razorbacks for instants. Of course this all has been supplanted with all the demon engines added to the list. Some of which are frighteningly nasty.Yet, Chaos Space Marine characters do have access to jump packs, go figure.

I have purchase two boxes of the CSM bikers and now since they can take an icon of one of the Chaos powers I plan for them to be followers of Khorne. I also forgot I repainted my old Defiler model to be devoted to Khorne.

Currently I have the following painted:

2 x 10 figure units of Berserkers
1x unit of Chosen (10 models)
Kharn
Defiler
Cypher
10 Fallen (these last two are not Khorne followers but I just had to have them in my force)
Chaos Lord of Khorne in Dreadnought armor with twin lighting claws
Five Flesh Hounds
25 Bloodletters
CSM Rhino painted in Khorne colors and icons
Abbadon and five Black Legion Terminators
Chaos Sorcerer of Nurgle (Just wanted to paint the guy up since it was a scratchbuilt conversion with wings, i.e., Jump pack)
Old Bloodletter of Khorne who now might sub for a Demon Prince of Khorne given the newer plastic models are HUGE!
Chaos Lord with plasma pistol and power ax painted as Black Legion

Assembled, primed, somewhat painted or ready to paint:
Land Raider with Forge World chaos replacement tracks and Black Legion doors.

Second Chaos Rhino that will be a Khorne Berserker transport

6 Chaos Bikers

20 Chaos Cultist
10 more Chosen
5 Posessed
Havoc squad with four heavy bolters plus champion
10 Chaos Space Marines devoted to Tzenntch
10 either Chosen or Chaos Space Marines with Khorne Icon
10 Chaos Space Marine Terminators (Painting five as World Eaters but the others may follow that path as well)
Forge World Black Legion Chaos Dreadnought
Two Aspiring Champions
3 Old OOP metal Chaos Space Marine sorcerers
OOP Ahriman
Fabius Bile
Chaos Iconoclast (Chaos preacher or whatever he is called)
Giant Chaos Spawn (Forge World but don't have the rules to use him)
3 Plague Marines (Yea don't have much use for these guys yet)

Some of the models have been sitting around for a long time and hence the lack of focus. I had given up on 40K for a number of years and had sold off a lot of my forces that were painted. Now I am coming back and seeing how I can focus and be more productive, have fun, yet be competitive if needed.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP12 Nov 2017 2:03 p.m. PST

I would make the cultists clearly aligned with the Black Legion forces. I know that cultists could be a World Eaters army but I just think they would get killed too quickly, especially by their own side.

kallman12 Nov 2017 2:50 p.m. PST

Yea that was kind of what I was thinking. I am considering picking up another box of KBs. Or ordering the FW conversion bits for World Eaters as I have a bunch of unassembled CSM sprues. That would give a different look. I want to make sure there was a FAQ that stated that if you have a World Eaters detachment that Khorne Berserkers count as troops, correct?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.