Help support TMP

"The Templars Knights ..." Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Medieval Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Medieval Discussion Message Board

656 hits since 2 Nov 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Paskal Supporting Member of TMP03 Nov 2017 8:47 a.m. PST

Hello to all

You have noticed that nobody really has any problem to know at all times, the military organization, the outfits and the numbers, at least theoretically, of the Teutonic Knights …

As well as to know what exist in 25 / 30mm figures for these Teutonic Knights…

In my opinion it's not the same for the Templars Knights …

My question is simple, which can enlighten me on the military organization, the outfits and the numbers, at least theoretically, of the Templars Knights without me having to read masses of books …

And what is there like 25 / 30mm figurines specifically for the Templars Knights for the 12th century…

Thank you in advance.

RudyNelson03 Nov 2017 9:43 a.m. PST

Check Fireforge. It is the company that I use for Templers and Teutonics.

uglyfatbloke Supporting Member of TMP03 Nov 2017 10:16 a.m. PST

Depends on whether you want historical or fantasy/romance Templars. Templars wore the same armour as anybody else.

Prince Rupert of the Rhine03 Nov 2017 11:33 a.m. PST

I was devastated to find out that despite the net telling me otherwise templars didn't dress like this

uglyfatbloke Supporting Member of TMP03 Nov 2017 11:38 a.m. PST

…but they did teleport back from Mars in time to save Robert the Bruce at the Battle of Pelennor Fields…or something….

Druzhina03 Nov 2017 9:22 p.m. PST
Paskal Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2017 11:12 a.m. PST

Thank you Druzhina, your links are always great …

What were the proportions between the brethren knights and the mounted sergeants /

What was the outfits of the mounted sergeants?

There was a specific infantry of order sergeants?

The fighters specifically for the order were knights, mounted sergeants and turcopoles?

The serving brethren are the mounted sergeants?

Druzhina06 Nov 2017 8:55 p.m. PST
Paskal Supporting Member of TMP08 Nov 2017 2:02 p.m. PST

Thank you but for the uniforms of their sergeants ?

Druzhina09 Nov 2017 9:28 p.m. PST

A few extracts from the organisation section of Armies and Enemies of the Crusades 1096-1291 by Ian Heath

p11, The Hospitallers:
The brethren-at-arms of the Order consisted of knights and sergeants (the latter outnumbered by the former), though the distinction only first appears in documents in 1206. At this date each brother knight was accompanied by 4 horses and probably 2 esquires, while each brother sergeant had only 2 horses and a single esquire (in all the Military Orders the esquires were drawn from amongst the serving brethren).

Footnote on p12:
* Some indication of the proportions may possibly be given by the Templar garrison of Safed, recorded c. 1243 to have consisted of 50 brother knights, 50 brother sergeants, 50 Turcopoles, 300 crossbowmen, 820 esquires, workmen and others (largely natives) and 400 slaves.

p13, The Templars:
Likewise in addition to brethren their forces included Turcopoles, vassals, mercenaries and allies …
The proportion of Turcopoles would appear to have been similar to those of the Hospitallers, basically on a level with the number of brethren; for example at La Forbie in 1244, where the Templars may have lost as many as 312 brethren, they also lost 324 Turcopoles.

Brethren again consisted of knights and sergeants (the latter existing at least as early as 1147). The distinction between them was almost inevitably more noticeable than amongst the less militaristic Hospitallers, and by 1250 an initiate seeking entry into the Order as a brother knight had first to prove he was the son or descendant of a knight, a qualification likewise requested by the Hospitallers and the Spanish Orders within the next two decades.

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.