Help support TMP

"How Willing Are The Europeans Prepared To Fight A War " Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) Message Board

786 hits since 29 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP30 Oct 2017 8:51 p.m. PST

…For Their Country?

France 29%???…
United kingdom 27???…
Germany 18%???…

link

Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Supercilius Maximus In the TMP Dawghouse31 Oct 2017 1:34 a.m. PST

I am reminded of this:-

link

and how it inspired our enemies to discount us.

Vigilant31 Oct 2017 3:25 a.m. PST

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Personal logo Sir Walter Rlyeh Supporting Member of TMP31 Oct 2017 5:19 a.m. PST

Finland wins! Hakka paale !

basileus6631 Oct 2017 6:21 a.m. PST

As we don't know how the question has been framed, the results are irrelevant.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP31 Oct 2017 10:06 a.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Waco Joe31 Oct 2017 10:26 a.m. PST

If they used the same question as in 2014 it is pretty simple:

"Q5. If there were a war that involved Poland, would you be willing to fight for your country?"

(taken form the Poland results)

greatpatton31 Oct 2017 1:18 p.m. PST

There is a problem with framing the question that way. For countries like US, UK, France etc. that are involved in war far away from their own country the answer will likely be no. How many European would like to die in Afghanistan for their country… not a lot.
For neutral country like Finland, Sweden, etc. if their country is involve in a war, it means that the war is at their border, and the answer will likely be different.

andysyk01 Nov 2017 1:31 p.m. PST

I think that even if there was a serious threat to national security and a draft was called in the UK, most people just wouldn't turn up. There would also be no infrastructure to enforce it.

Bindon Blood01 Nov 2017 11:09 p.m. PST

The main infrastructure to enforce drafts is peer pressure. I suspect that most would turn up, although different ethnic groups may vary in callup rates.

But as Greatpatton says, how much of an immediate threat is it?

And, who is the threat from? That would effect the rate, for example a moslem nation sweeping across Europe, how would young moslem men in the UK respond? Would they see this as a threat and join up?

The question is, with the lifestyle of the average UK resident these days, how many would HM Armed Forces want? And how many could we support in the field???

andysyk02 Nov 2017 2:54 a.m. PST

In time of emergency, with lets say the type of threat seen in WW2 the Armed forces will take anyone manpower is key not its quality. Plenty of work for everyone.

Could we support it in the field? We cant even properly support the small forces we have.

We don't have the bases or equipment to even feed and dress a mass intake. Let alone equip arm and sustain.

The problem is also the UK does not have the Industry infrastructure to sustain prolonged conflict or provide the things needed.

Peer pressure, I'm not so sure, society is much more liberal than in the past.

There is a whole section of society that wont work ,some men in their 50s have never worked. I don't see them turning up.(I don't mean the 50 year olds)

Society would also have a problem with the death toll, in the past people were much more used to death, loss in families due to medical reasons etc.. As seen in modern conflicts society wont take it.

Only now, after a decade and a half of Moslem extremism and because it is directly in our towns are people beginning to support more measures tackle it.

Even in WW2 conscripts were writing to their MPs complaining of the treatment they were receiving during training. The Armed Forces have been plagued with fighting "Bullying" (Yes sometimes it happened) but a lot of the time it was just training techniques that people couldn't handle, since the 80s Imagine what would happen now?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP02 Nov 2017 6:00 a.m. PST

I don't know about Europeans today, but I was really impressed when I read years ago how the Australians were prepared to fight to the end should they be invaded by the Japanese during WW2.

I was a kid when I read that and it left me with a healthy respect for our allies down under. If I was facing that sort of situation in my country, I would love for people to have that same mindset.

But in general these days (and this is just my perception) the idea of fighting for your home, your family family, loved ones, your fellow citizens, your homeland/"patria" (motherland/fatherland) etc., doesn't mean as much to some people in the West*, specially our media, as it did back then. Many times the media makes it sound as if preparing to go down fighting would be a dirty thing for us to do, but they depict it as something honorable in our enemies. Mind boggling sometimes.

Dan
* Many of those would probably just move to a neighboring country and hardly look back. I've actually heard college kids express themselves that way with their friends. Canada should start making room now because, if things ever get hot here, it is going to fill up with them quick. :)

Begemot02 Nov 2017 8:45 a.m. PST

Caribe – When the enemy is actually at the gates or expected to be (as in your Australian example) I think it can be expected that people will be very motivated to defend their homes. People are less motivated to go far away to fight small countries that don't have the capability to invade their homes. So I suspect that if some country invaded the USA (who in reality is capable of that feat today?) there would be a huge response from the American people to defend their country. But to go off and die to keep Iran in place in the world order envisioned by the satraps of Washington? Not so much.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP02 Nov 2017 10:26 a.m. PST

Oh absolutely. Going off is a different matter for some of those who would still be willing to defend the homeland, if that happened to be the threat.

Sadly, I'm afraid that many abled-bodied people in the West today might not be willing to do either.

Dan

Lion in the Stars02 Nov 2017 5:14 p.m. PST

* Many of those would probably just move to a neighboring country and hardly look back. I've actually heard college kids express themselves that way with their friends. Canada should start making room now because, if things ever get hot here, it is going to fill up with them quick. :)

No, it won't.

When the Abu Ghraib and related scandals started breaking, my Dad wanted to move out of the US to Canada, couldn't stand the idea of being a member of a country that would betray it's own founding principles like that. Canada would not let a Math PhD in!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.