Help support TMP

"Why the U.S. Navy So Desperately Needs a New Frigate" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) Message Board

525 hits since 29 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP30 Oct 2017 8:32 p.m. PST

"Overall, initial requirements concepts for the new ship appear to mirror the Navy's much-discussed "distributed lethality" strategy. This strategic approach, in development for several years now, emphasizes the need to more fully arm the fleet with offensive and defensive weapons and disperse forces as needed to respond to fast-emerging near-peer threats.

The US Navy is asking industry to prepare "concept design" proposals to build a new combat-capable Frigate able to destroy swarming small boat attacks, operate undersea and aerial drones, support carrier strike groups, conduct dis-aggregated operations, attack enemies with an over-the-horizon missile and engage in advanced surface and anti-submarine warfare, according to an announcement from Naval Sea Systems Command…"
Main page

link

Amicalement
Armand

Mad Mecha Guy Sponsoring Member of TMP30 Oct 2017 10:06 p.m. PST

State from Navy: Oh look, we just realised that the LCS 'frigate' isn't up to its Frigate tasks so need to buy a proper one…….

bsrlee31 Oct 2017 2:23 a.m. PST

Judging by that wish list it would be bigger than an Iowa class BB. I think they would be better following the old UK system where smaller ships/boats only cover one or two tasks in a unit but all share a common hull and basic systems.

SouthernPhantom31 Oct 2017 1:01 p.m. PST

What they describe is basically a Burke (the ships I view as modern-day Star Destroyers!). Frigates are supposed to be cheap, simple, and numerous.

Lion in the Stars31 Oct 2017 3:16 p.m. PST

The Burkes are weak in ASW, they're primarily AA platforms. Most of them don't even have a towed array sonar, just a bow sonar.

What the USN needs is a heavy-ASW with just a little AA, maybe not even enough SM2s or SM6s to really contribute to battlegroup AA. Just enough AA to keep itself safe.

I'd want a 5" gun and a pair or more of Mk44 30mm guns, enough helo hangar space for an MH60 and a pair of MQ8s. Add a good variable depth sonar. Harpoons and ASROC.

While I'm not sure that the LCS2 trimaran hull can support a 5" gun (the 5"/54 Mk45 is about 22 tons, while the Mk110 Bofors 57mm is about 15 tons), that would actually be my suggestion (along with about 30 more crew!)

Madhon08 Nov 2017 2:35 a.m. PST

So basically a modernised Spruance class

Lion in the Stars08 Nov 2017 4:42 p.m. PST

@Madhon: More or less. The FFG7s are a little undergunned for the modern threat environment.

NavyVet09 Nov 2017 7:52 p.m. PST

Sounds like you are proposing an update of the Knox 1052 class DE's.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.